Prologue

The day was slightly overcast and the little rays of sun that peered through the clouds did nothing to warm the chill that spread through my bones. Wind and the spray of icy seawater soaked me straight to my bones, I honestly thought I'd never be warm again.

"Damn." My brother, Mikey, mumbled beside me, rubbing his frozen hands together to create some illusion of warmth. "You'd think Uncle Sam could afford to buy us some warmer uniforms."

I chuckled. "Uncle Sam spent all their money on this boat and weapons."

"Uncle Sam doesn't give a single fuck about us." Frank muttered from behind me. "We're just pawns."

Mikey looked out over the cloudy horizon. "Nazi killing pawns." A small smirk played on his lips.

That was Mikey, so innocent and optimistic. Even on a day they were calling Doomsday, he still managed to be as energetic as if we were home safe.

Frank scoffed. "Only if we can kill them before they get to us."

"You're a real ray of sunshine." Mikey rolled his eyes. "You know that?"

Frank's fingers rubbed the cross hanging from the chain around his neck. "I'm a man facing almost certain death, what's there to be happy about?"

"What if we make it, then all the girls will want to sleep with the man who fought in Operation Overlord," Mikey grinned. "You'll be a real life hero."

"I'm just a man." Frank grabbed a cigarette out of his pocket and lit it. "I'm not a hero." He offered the cigarette to me.

I accepted it and took a drag. "Speaking of girls, Mikey, when are you finally gonna grow a pair and get hitched with Alice? You've been dating for what, three years?"

"Yeah." Mikey turned red. "I'm waiting for the right moment."

"Then you'll be waiting forever," I remarked and handed the cigarette back to Frank.

"I'll ask her at the USO ball," Mikey mused, a dreamy smile on his face. "They'll play a slow song, I'll ask her to dance, take her hand and lead her right to the middle. When the song is over, I'll pull out the ring and kneel in front of her-"

Frank snorted. "How romantic. Assuming we don't all die a horrible death."

"What about you, Frank, any romantic plans?" Mikey turned, glaring at him.

"As a matter of fact, I plan to shag a brunnete as soon as my feet hit American soil." Frank said and tossed the finished cigarette overboard.

"She's gonna be one lucky girl," Mikey said sarcastically.

Frank raised an eyebrow. "Who said it was gonna be a she?"

I turned around in shock. "What-"

"Look alive sunshines!" Our commander stood on the bow of the boat.

All conversation ceased. All eyes were on the commander as he slowly paced the width of the ship, except for mine.

My eyes were still glued to Frank. He noticed me staring in shock and just winked.

"I'd have thought you would have known, seeing as you're the same way as me." Frank whispered.

The red in my cheeks spread all the way up to my ears. Suddenly the water soaked uniform seemed to be suffocating me.

And what did Frank do? The bastard smirked at me.

"Just over there, a few nautical miles from us, is a battle. Now we are the last reinforcements our country has got." The commander yelled. "It's either kill or be killed. Do you understand me?"