Stories and Dark Places

Emmy's POV

The dwarves were estatic when we returned with fresh meat. Bombur and Bofur soon had it on a spit, rotating over a big bonfire. The smell made me swoon, and no doubt made the dwarves drunk on its aroma, let alone being drunk on the ale, that Kili had found. I went into the house and started preparing the herbs. I chop the carrots and add them to the stew that Bilbo preferred over just plain meat, and I add the many cutting I had taken for the kill to the pot and a few spices and herbs, drawing everyone from the outside, inside towards the aroma.

"Why are you making stew when we have a boar outside cooking?" Balin asks politely, I smile at the ancient dwarf.

"Bilbo and I decided to have something more timid than big helpings of meat,you are welcome to join us of you wish, we are going to have a quiet night tonight no partying for us." I tell him, he smiles and nods his head in agreement.

" My younger days are far behind me Fire Scales, I will gladly join you and Bilbo in a quiet supper." he answer I smile. Bilbo hands me a bowl of chopped radishes.

"Do you like vegetables Master Dwarf?" Bilbo asks quietly, Balin nods.

"Unlike my comrades I have to problem with greens and healthy foods." he says kindly, making Bilbo smile happily.

"Bilbo, the bowls and spoons are in a cupboard, they are easy to reach, right over there." I tell him and point to a low hanging cupboard, he nods and pulls the heavier doors open, searching around for bowls and spoons, coming out with bigger than normal eating utensils,a slight frown on his face.

"Are these too big?" he asks looking up at me, holding them out. I shake my head, and smile at him.

" That just means bigger portions Master Hobbit." I wink at him and he smiles sheepishly, hobbits love bigger portions. I test the stew on my lips and nod my head.

" Its ready, come and get some Balin, Bilbo." I call. Balin thanks me with a smile and a nod.

" This is the best stew I have ever tasted Emmy!" Bilbo says after a fourth helping. I smile at him and pat my stomach.

"I must agree with Master Baggins Miss Emmy, that was a fine supper." Balin says, he had stopped eating after a second helping, as did I, too full to eat more.

" Thank you, its my mothers recipe she loved to cook for anyone in needed of a full stomach." I tell them as I gaze happily into the fire. Kili and Fili had joined us, both smoking on their pipes, staring into nothing.

"What was your family like?" Bilbo asks, I look at him.

"They were more hospitable than the dwarves of Moria, they were considered the kindest in all of Middle earth, my mother was considered more beautiful than the elves, my father mightier than the great shifters in the north. My grandfather was there the entire time, helping take care of us! I learned from his ways and my fathers on how to be a great ruler." I pause, staring at the fire, I can sense that more dwarves have wandered over to listen," My older siblings were extremely protective of me, to ri was always causing more trouble than needed, I kept their hands full constantly, my father taught me the ways of the Dragoscales, and ways of others in Middle Earth, so I could rule after my siblings, since Dragoscales almost never find their other half, it was more than likely my siblings would never Mary and have kids, my parents were extremely lucky they found each other, so I was trained to be queen." I tell them, " I loved my brothers dearly, they flew me on their backs all over the place, to Rivendel, here, that is how I know Elrond and Beorn so well, we visited all the time, until the day they died, I didn't see Beorn for years and I lived with the elves in Rivendel, but all in all my family was the perfect one in my eyes." I smile at my father who sits next to me.