Hear comes the fire

We had officially ticked off the largest Fire Drake left on middle earth. Bounding down the halls of Erebor was supposed to be fun, but now it was out of sheer panic, Bilbo holding tight to my fur as I soared forward and twisted around a corner, paws scrabbling against smooth stone. The warm heat of fire blew against my rump, singeing my tail. I yelped and hunched my hindquarters up and bolted down thehall.

The small halfling bounced slightly, his arms shaking from gripping so tight. Hold on, little one, the dragon said in guilt, we have a fairways to get away from a raging dragon.

Thorin had to call him fat, had to say 'he grew old and slow', the stupid oaf. I let out a rabid snarl and lunged around the corner. I came face to face with his burning amber eyes full of hate. I flattened my ears and rolled away as he blasted a second flame, chest scales burning fiercely. His tail whipped around and smacked me hard in the side. I flew back, Bilbo falling off before I crashed into a stone pillar with a crunch and my head snapped back and I was struck into oblivion.

********
When I can!e around, I smelled no dwarves, no hobbit, only the remains of dragon fire. I struggled to my feet, the wolf snapping at !e to get up and go, save our friends, stop the dragon. Eyesight dizzy and unfocused, I staggered into a gallop, shaking my head. I was finally able to focus long enough to be blinded by bright light. I slit my eyes open a crack to glance down at bubbling, liquid hot gold.

"The town," I heard Smaug rumble."They sent you, didn't they?"

I tumbled around the corner, skidding to a abrupt stop, going still in horror.

"I think I shall pay them a visit."

And that's when I was shifting into my larger form, wings breaking free, tail sprouting. I roared at the air, jaw cracking as it opened wide. I launched into the air with powerful flaps, tearing after Smaug.

"Emerald!" I heard Bilbo and the brothers shout.

But I was already gone, the human sinking back, the beast taking over every corner of my mind, very intent on busting Smaug wide open.

Ten minutes later•

His claws raked the entire length of my back, tearing apart thick armored plates, ripping my tender skin that was hidden underneath all the scale. I felt the shudder of pain zizag up my neck and let out a loud scream that rumbled, spouts of orange flame escaping. I reared my head back and twitched away from his claws, wings stuttering as Smaug only dug deeper.

I snarled, upper lip curling as Ibared my teeth and reared up, unfurling my wingfs further, flapping them fiercely. I sucked in a lungful of air and my throat thickened as liquid fire mixed with the warm air. I released the breath and a torrent of red exploded. Fire licked Smaug's way but he only used his own inferno back. The firelight battle of red and orange lasted for awhile until I snapped my jaws shut and immediately tucked into a ball and barreled into his large chest.

"Little female," he chided with a chortle."I am born of fire and death. I am made to rule under the mountain."

That sent waves of anger rolling down my stinging spine. I glared at the gold greedy dragon with eyes narrowed to dangerous slits. My tongue flicked over my teeth, which itched to tear into his flesh, end his life. I let a growl rise from my shredded chest. I closed my narrowed gaze, su king in deep gusts of air, lungs aching, body thorbbing even more.

This dragon had to go, or he would destroy everything in his path to protect the gold he possessed. I flapped my wingspan and drifted u til I was eye to eue, the feathers on my neck rising, standing on end. I could do this, I would win. I will win. With a chilling growl, I flew at Smaug. Our bodies clashed, claws scraping, teeth gnashing. I grappled with him, pinning his first arm, using my tail to help.