Chapter Two: December Falling

Everything was going fine until December rolled in. The peace was stifling. Nobody got into a fight, nobody died and no sight of cops at all. You'd think I'm over exaggerating but that was my reality until then.

Of course I had enemies though. Brittany would constantly give me dirty looks and say god knows about me but she wouldn't say anything to me. She couldn't. Which left Dylan and I as friendly acquaintances. I preferred that to us being friends. I don't know why.

Prue, valentina and I had of fall projects due. Now I had the time to be diligent, I finished all my projects on time. The other two however had to pull all nighters to get a pass. Even though I was already done, I'd still come over for a sleepover to help them. We still talked about really useless things. Fashion, celebrities and saying who was the new "hoe" in school. I've learnt to keep up better in our conversations but it just feels so uninteresting. I don't know if it's just me or all of us but this was fake.
We were fake. But we were never fake. We were real. But we were never really real. We were just trying. I think.

"Hey guys you know Kayden" Prue suddenly said stopping our conversation short.

"Kayden? In class 3?" Valentina replied

"Yeah! I knew my girls would know him. Isn't he cute"

It was obvious he wasn't cute. He had an 8-pack, light skin and a jawline which could cut glass. Known for how much of a douche bag he was to anyone he didn't deem fit to breathe the same air as him. There were many words I could describe him as but cute was not one of them.
You could see on her face. She wanted an exact response.

"You like him don't you?!" I said in falsetto.

"No way. I just think that he is cute and he has good hair and sexy eyes. Oh my gosh his eyes"

When she would talk like this I would really wonder if she thought I was stupid or not.

"Nah you totally like him girl" Valentina stepped in.

"Maybe I do. I mean with his looks I mean who wouldn't"

I wouldn't. Ever.

After that I completely resigned from the conversation. They kept talking about how cute he was and how they wanted boyfriends and I just quietly read a book to myself. I couldn't deal with love then. Not anymore.

You see a year before this, I was in love with David. We went to the same school but had different classes so even if we came to school we never really saw eachother. Our relationship was complicated like that. We never properly started going out but we were together. Or at least I thought so. I'd like to think that he thought so too.

David was tall. He had mocha skin and a collar bone deeper than the grand canyon. He was lean but not muscular and he had a scar on this left eyebrow. He always wore slightly worn out jeans and a plain black top with a hoodie. Everything made him, him. Everything was perfect to me.

Of all places we met in school. The fire alarm went off and we were using the golden opportunity to ditch school without the whole hassle of teachers chasing us. We were going through the back gate when I got my skirt caught on the latch.

"Well done" he said as he tried to squeeze past me.

His chest was so close to mine as he fit himself through. In that one moment I thought could feel his heart beat in the mist of all his warmth. I was hooked. He was about to leave then he turned to look at me again.

"Hey your face is pretty cute, though I can't say the same for your body"

"Hey!" I called out feeling dejected. Yes I know I wasn't sexy but he didn't have to point it out. Not then. "Who are you t-"

"But still" he interrupted "Worth more than a gate"

In one strong gesture he unhooked my skirt from the gate, creating a tear at the side.

"What on earth was that for?! This ugly skirt costs $50 to fix"

The thought of my mother having to buy me a new skirt hurt my heart. We were poor and putting that stress on her made me feel horrible like some black shadow of a monster. Sucking away at her peace like a vacuum. Making her work more than necessary for me and my other siblings.

"Hey, I just sa-"

Tears welled up in my eyes. I wanted to get angry and yell but the words wouldn't come out. In worrying about what my mom would go through and has gone through, I forgot the current situation I was in. I reached for my sleeves to wipe my eyes when he suddenly pulled at my arm as I raised it, pulling me close. His warmth enveloped me again. He turned me around and covered my eyes.

"I don't know much about you. Only met you today. But if it makes you so upset that your waste of napkin cloth skirt is ripped then close your eyes and don't look at it. But since you're not doing that I'll cover them for you"

I was hooked.

He leaned over to whisper in my ear.
"Fire alarm stopped"

"Oh snap" I shouted slightly disregarding what he said because a teacher was running up to us. We both ran out of the school.

As I ran I thought it myself. Two minutes. Literally two minutes was all it took for me to get hooked on this guy.... Am I too easy? Or is he too good?
I was in for the long haul.

I fell asleep with a tear in my eye that night, remembering.