The past is far behind us

"Toby stop being weird! I don't want you scaring my new friend." Lyra warned.
"Fine. What wa-as her na-ame again?" Toby asked ticking mid sentence as Lyra waited at the door.
"His name is Jack. He's from school. And maybe you'll like him, he skipped a grade so he's only a year older than you." Lyra informed.
"So-o he's 12?" Toby asked.
"Yes."Lyra confirmed.
"Good for hi-im. And I won't bo-other you anyway, I have a doc-ctors appointment in half hour." Toby reminded. Lyra just rolled her eyes and turned away from her brother and the TV to the door.
A few moments later she herd a knock and let Jack in.
"Hi Jack. By the way, that's my brother Toby." She greeted.
"Hello. And wait who's Toby?" Jack asked as he walked in. He looked to the left and saw a kid on the couch eating popcorn. He had brunette hair, a black tshirt, and grey sweats.
"Hi." Toby greeted before turning his attention back to the screen. Toby pulled out his phone and began to do something. Jack couldn't tell from his standing point.
"Come on we can watch a movie." Lyra offered smiling.
"Ok." Jack agreed walking away.
After that jack came over more and more, Toby go use to the idea of him being there. He came over or she went to his house practically every other weekend. And during summer whenever he or she felt like it. Toby liked jack he was quite and it made Lyra happy. Jack liked Toby too,and he saw him all the time anyway. Soon Jack even started to get a crush on the ticking brunette.
"So do you like anyone from school?" Lyra asked one sleep over. They had been at jacks this time so Toby wasn't there.
"No, I don't like anyone at school." Jack confirmed.
"You sure? No cute boys?" She asked knowing Jack was gay. She smiled and got closer to look into his grey eyes, Which he still had. He did have eyes at one point, he just lost them but not now.
"No. You don't even like people like that so it doesn't matter." Jack reminded.
"I may be ace but I still understand crushes and love." She said in a duh tone.
"Ok. Well I don't like anyone at school." Jack said blushing slightly.
"Well, who do you know outside of school? Hmm, not female, not hideous, and not any of your family.... oh my god...." she sorted.
"I know! It's stupid!" He continued.
"You like my brother?!? He's so annoying though!" She realized.
"I know! And he annoys me too, but I can't really control how I feel." Jack said turning away.
"I guess. Well I can tell you stuff that will make you not like him anymore. Like did you know he-" she started before jack put a hand over her mouth.
"Stop! I don't want to make things worse." He interrupted.
"Well yo have a shot I guess, he's bi so..." she said right after he took his hand away.
"Wait.... what?" He said as a spark of hope lit inside him.
"Yah... he's bi." She said calmly.

Toby sat on the couch playing on his phone. It was a good day, his dad was still locked up, he got to see jack for a moment, and to top it off the medication was actually working.

It had been 5 years and jack still liked Toby, Lyra still was friends with him, and there Dad is locked up. Well was locked up. Today he got released. This time however the "family" had not been warned. This was a night Jack had come over. They all sat in Toby's room talking and playing games. The last 3 years Toby had practically become the 3rd best friend. They heard racked downstairs but ignored it. They were midway through the story of Jack's ear piercing. Then they herd a loud scream.
"I think Dad's home." Lyra said sighing. They both hated there father, he had done so much to this family's. Jack knew well what was happening, he had herd the stories.
"Well, I guess I can deal with it. I can't feel the pain anyway. Bye Jackie, Lyra." Toby said almost getting up before Lyra roughly pulled him back down.
"Look, it's simply really. All we have to do is count the breaths we hear and we can figure out mrs. Rodgers condition form there." Jack put out. Toby and Lyra gave him a look and he surged.
"Your a nerd." Lyra said.
"A nerd who studies human medics." Jack responded. They both looked at him before getting quite. 1....2...3...4...5. 1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8.9.10
"Ok so it's be-een half a min-nute and we h-herd five bre-eaths from D-Dad and 10 from mom.So she's bre-eathing twice as fast as nor-rmal." Toby shuddered out.
"She's scared. So he hasn't actually pushed life too far." Lyra answered.
"I feel like I shouldn't be here. This seems personal." Jack said quietly.
"No we're g-glad you're h-here, just it's fi-ine." Toby answered. When they got quiet again they herd a bloodcurdling scream and then silence. Connie, Toby and Lyra's mother, was still breathing though.
"We should call the cops." Lyra said. She tried to reach her phone while also being quiet. They were trying to not make there presence known. Mr. Rodgers had thought he killed both children.
Lyra reached the phone and was in the middle of dialing before another scream erupted from downstairs and mrs.Rodger's breathing got slower, as if she was barley clinging to life. Toby's breath hitched and he silently inched closer to Jack. Lyra had began the conversation with the police. She knew she couldn't get back over tho the middle of the room without making noise so she stayed there and looked over at her best friend and brother.
Jack nervously bit his lip and got even closer to Toby to the point their shoulders were pressed together.
They both just kinda leaned in to the point where Toby had an arm around jack and jack was holding Toby's hand.
"We will never speak of this again, deal?" Toby asked.
"Deal Tobaby." Jack responded melting into the embrace. Jack and Lyra had made the nickname a long time ago and still used it.