Chapter 1: The First Meeting

"Paige, you're running late!" My mother shouted on the top of her lungs. I hurriedly got off the bed and rushed into the shower. I felt the hot water trickle down my body. The heat and smoke was fogging up the glass and mirror in the bathroom.

I hurriedly brushed my teeth. I got the bottle of Listerine mouth wash and gargled quickly. I grabbed my blazer and my brown leather bag. Once I reached the bottom of the stairs, I sniffed the smell of newly brewed coffee. I see a raven haired woman standing in the kitchen. I walk to her and place my hands in my hips.

"Aren't you going yet? It's half past six." She uttered irritatingly to me.

"Mom it's ok. We had a change in schedule today. Work starts at nine." I cooly replied to her. I got the mug of coffee she handed and I sat on my seat.

"Hey Paige! Is it possible we can have coffee later?" My sister asked me. Her auburn hair was neatly fixed into a half pony tail with her bangs swooped onto the side of her face.

"Sure is it necessary though?" I squinted while reading the magazine in front of me. I felt her stand next to me.

"Well kind of. I just need to talk to you about Jeremy." She huffed.

"Jeremy? I thought you figured it out with him?" I surprisingly asked.

"Not quite. I'm having a hard time with him recently. I think we need to compromise." She finally sat beside me.

"Okay, sure. I'm going to try." I left my seat and walked over to the sofa where I placed my bag and blazer.

"Paige! You might forget your contact lenses!" My sister handed me them.

"I'll see you later." I smiled at her.

I said my goodbyes to my mother and my sister. I walked primly in the sidewalk and tightly clutched my bag. After a few minutes, I arrived at the nearest bus stop. I waited for the next bus to come until I finally saw it coming. I went in and occupied the seat which was free.

I placed my bag on top of my lap and wore my blazer. I glanced at my watch and it was nearly seven in the morning. The bus halted into a stop and I leant forward. There were a couple more people that went inside. A boy caught my eye. He had dark brown hair with a hint of light brown. He wore a collared shirt matched with dark pants. His spectacles, or I should say glasses were square shaped. His hair was styled into a mohawk which made me remind him of Andrew Garfield from the Amazing Spider Man.

Our eyes locked with one another but it didn't last long. I watched him walk past me and sit a couple of seats away. I flicked through the inbox of my phone but no one messaged so I placed back my phone inside my bag.

In every bus stop, more people got off the bus. The people inside got less althoughthe boy was still sitting at the back. I leant forward and searched for where the bus driver was taking me. It was almost eight in the morning and the ride to my office is pretty long. I looked around the bus and I noticed that it was only me and the boy. I wore my square shaped glasses to see things more visibly. I buried my face in my hands to help myself calm down.

After a few minutes, I decided to approach the bus ticketer.

"Excuse me. I've been here for an hour and I'm afraid I might be late for work. I was supposed to be dropped off in Kennedy Street." I gestured.

"Ma'am just a few more minutes and we will arrive there." He responded and went back to his seat.

I walked back going to my seat. I tried to relax and not panick. I was stunned when I saw the boy sit beside me. He smiled at me.

"You're headed to Kennedy street aren't you?" He questioned.

"Yeah. I'm actually running late for work."

"Well, I'm headed there too." He uttered.

"I'm Charlie Edmunds." He stretched out his hand for me to shake. I look at it for a moment making my mind up whether I should shake it or not.

I shake his hand anyway and introduce myself.

"I'm Paige Anderson." I smile at him.

"Would you mind if I ask? What do you do for a living?" He asked.

"I'm a writer. I write for magazine articles by request. I also write books and for the daily paper." I sraightened my position while sitting on my seat.

"Very successful." He glanced at me. I shook my head while smiling.

"What do you do?" I responded as soon as possible.

"I work in the studio. I help new and young artists with making their music. Although I haven't recorded my own songs." He giggled embarrassingly.

"Why not?" I ask him curiously.

"Well I've tried but it didn't seem good enough. Based on my standards."

"I'm sorry but that's ridiculous. You help new artists write and make their own music. What makes you say that you can't make your own music when you have successfully helped other people." I sat there dumbfounded at what he told me seconds ago.

He just smiled and didn't say anything back. I smiled confusingly at him and glanced away. I glanced once more at my watch. 8:30am. I am not going to make it on time. He looks at my watch then at me.

"Running late, huh?" He says but not looking at me.

"Yeah." I reply disappointingly. I ruffle through my bag searching for my phone to call my friend Alice who works in the same office as me. I finally found it and as soon as I held it, Alice was calling. I tap the green button to answer.

"Hey Alice." I reply with a sense of irritation and stress in my voice.

"I know, I'm sorry. Please tell George I can't go today." I tried to lower down my voice to make sure Charlie couldn't hear what I was saying.

"Uhh... The bus. It's completely messed up. Like-" Alice cut me off.

"Okay. I know. Thanks, I'll see you tomorrow." I end the call leaving a heavy sigh after uttering my words. I placed my hand in my forehead massaging it a bit. I was panicking and feeling stressed at the moment. I felt so bad for disappointing George, my boss. Today was the deadline of the magazine article I was to submit to him.

I felt hands stroke my back. It soothed and helped me breathe normally. I leaned back in my chair and let out a deep breath.

"Thanks." I smile at Charlie while squeezing his knee. He smiles back.

"Aren't you gonna be late for work too?" I creased my eyebrows at him.

"Today's my day off. I was hoping to have breakfast at the La Bambino Café." He adjusted his squared glasses.

"Ohh..." I shook my head while looking down at my feet.

I leaned back in my chair and look to my left to watch the stores and cars pass by.

Author's note:

Hey guys! This is a new story I'm currently writing. Hopefully I can get back to writing California Dreaming. Please take time reading this. Unfortunately, it's not a fanfic. Sorry! If you have any concerns feel free to message me or comment.

Comment and Vote!!

Thanks!

-chemistrylovebirds28