Chapter 11: Long Distance Friend

Start from the beginning

"Um, well, its this kid named Luke and that kid Riley-"

"Your friend Riley?" Ricky asks surprised.

"Yeah. Well, they don't like each other very much and they both 'want' me. As I think. But, I am sort of with Riley and Luke doesn't like the fact that I am with him. I told Luke that and he got mad and stormed out. I just went over to his house to apologize for getting mad at him for flipping out and he, again, got mad, saying I didn't care about anything." I tried explaining everything and letting out a breath at the end. Jade yelled from across the room "HE GOT HER A DRESS" and Ricky seemed to hear.

"He got you a dress? For what?"

"Junior Prom..." I respond and he says, "Oh yeah, I forgot about that."

"Well, I guess I have to come over there and kick some asses. He isn't a girl, he acts like one, but isn't one, so it is completely legal." I heard a bed creak and heard him click speaker while he throws on some shoes.

"No, its okay. You don't have to come over. It isn't that bad. I'd rather you come over for something more serious, not just some kid who wants to start problems."

"What is this kid Luke like anyway?" He asks.

"You've met him, Luke Rivers."

"Oh, that's right, the kid you ditched you in the middle school and got that stupid reputation." He says with venom in his voice, saying he is 'ridiculous'.

"Yeah, well, I think he got me that dress to try and 'woo' me or whatever. I am not being completely easy on him knowing that I am just a game of his. He objects but I just bring up how he's dated most of the grade and how he expects me to trust him that I am not a piece on a board, saying he's wrong." I say matter-of-factly.

"That's my girl." He says and I hear him take off his coat and the bed creaks again, signalling he is sat on it again, "How's Riley?" He askes.

"I also don't know about him, seeing he didn't come and visit me in the hospital-"

"YOU WERE WHERE?!" He yells across the phone and I pull the phone away from my ear so I don't go completely deaf.

"Yeah, my foot. I was just in a car accident. It was a drunk driver but dont worry, my foot isn't broken." I reassure him. He just sighs and he mutters a 'geez'.

"So Riley, the kid that you are dating, didn't come and visit you? Did Luke?"

"Yeah-"

"So the kid you are mad at, did visit you, and the kid you are dating, didn't. Call me crazy, but I think you got the roles in this relationship mixed up and switched." He says laughing

"You're crazy." I say and we both laugh. Jade stifles a laugh, obviously hearing the whole conversation seeing that she has moved to sit besides me again.

"Okay well, you seem happy again and I have to go back to studying, so I guess bye. And remember you can call me for anything. I love you, Claire."

"Oh and by the way, my foot is broken but not badly enough that I need crutches. I have a boot on though. Bye, Ricky, I love you too!" I say and grin.

"Geez, Claire. Be careful , alright? Bye, see you soon." He says and we hang up. Never thought letting it all out can make someone feel better. I stared at my phone and put it back on the table. I sigh and Jade gets up, pulling me up with her and we walk out the bedroom door.

"How about we eat that icecream you have downstairs. We don't need froyo right now, sadly." She smiles and we walk downstairs. I take out the gallon and scoop some out and put it in bowls.

"Well, that made you feel better, talking to Ricky I mean." Jade says while muching on her chocolate ice cream, "Is it true that that is what Luke said?"

"Yes." I mutter through a mouth full. I swallow and say, "But, whatever, I'm not missing anything. He's just losing his chance with me." I smile and eat another spoonful. The phone rings and I stand up and walk over to it.

Riley.

I sigh and look over at Jade and mouth 'Riley' and click 'answer' and hold it up to my ear.

"Hey, Claire. I'm sorry I couldn't come and visit you-"

"Whatever, Its fine." I say back to him.

"I just didn't want to start problems."

"With who? Luke?" I ask, already knowing the answer.

"Yeah but-"

"Bye Riley, see you tomorrow at school." I say and hang up. I'm tired with all this fighting crap. They need to grow up. I note to buy some fertilizer for both of them.

Back to the sarcasm...

"Riley said he didn't come and visit because of Luke?" Jade asks.

"Yup," I say, popping the 'p'.

"And you got sick of it and hung up on him?"

"Yup," I say and finish my ice cream and grabbing a bag of chips to go sit on the couch and enjoy the rest of the day in Jade's company.