Chapter Fourteen

The unyielding arm held you tight from behind, making you wince, the razor sharp steel grazing the skin of your neck.

"He's not coming for you, sweetheart," said the gravelly voice in your ear.

Your heart caught in your throat, afraid to swallow and jostle the knife's placement upon your skin. He released you only to whip your body around to face him, his cold eyes making you shiver. He held tightly onto the back of your neck, his gaze never wavering. The tip of the knife slowly plunged into your abdomen as a scream escaped your mouth.

_____________

You awoke with a start, your head rising from the pillow as you clutched your stomach, a phantom pain there. A warm hand brushed over your arm and then kisses pressed to your bare shoulder.

"Bad dream?" asked a male groggy voice.

"Yeah," you answered, attempting to slow your heart rate.

"Rumlow?"

You nodded, pressing a hand to the bandage on your throat as you lie back down beside Bucky. He pulled you into his chest, arms wrapped around you as a hand rubbed your back.

"What can I do?" he asked.

You sighed, releasing tension in your muscles from the dream, "This is enough."

The both of you stayed there for a while, hearing the steady constant of his heartbeat calming you. He pressed a kiss to your forehead, then the tip of your nose, and finally your lips, lingering there before he pulled back to meet your eyes.

"How did you sleep otherwise?"

"Very well. You wore me out, detective," you said with a sly smile.

A chuckle rumbled in his chest, "Same here, doll."

You kissed his lips and ran a hand through his adorable bedhead. It was nice to know that those perfect locks weren't always so perfect. A worrying thought entered your mind then, brow furrowing.

"What?" he asked in concern. "What is it?"

"I'm sorry."

"For what?"

"For...pushing. I'm not sorry it happened, this was... amazing. But you were right, I shouldn't have..."

"Hey, hey. I wanted it, too. I wasn't really trying to stop you," he admitted, grazing his knuckles across your cheek.

"But what about your job? If I put your career in jeopardy I'll never forgive myself. You are an amazing detective and policeman before that, I just..."

"I know. And thank you. But let's just...take things one thing at a time. First of all, is this something you want? You know...long-term?"

You considered the question, ghosting your fingers over the smooth muscles of his chest, "I definitely want...more."

A wide smile split his handsome face, "Glad to hear it. I would have to agree. And while I echo your sentiments of how amazing last night was, we might have to...take a step back. Just while the case is still open."

"You're right," you agreed with a slight frown. "But...does that step back have to happen right now? Or..." you smirked, your hand traveling down toward the detective's sheet-covered bottom half.

He laughed, capturing your smiling lips in a kiss. "No, I think we could wait another hour or so."

He rolled over on top of you, gently nuzzling your neck as his hands explored every inch of skin.