Chapter Ten

The counselor straightened out his papers as he stood from his chair. He walked over to a filing cabinet in the corner near his desk where he placed the papers under "Wellington." Jacket and bag in hand, he approached the door, rotated to close it behind him, and reached into his bag to lock it when the janitor came over.

"Here, I've got the keys," he politely said, inserting a key into the lock.

"Thanks, Arron," he returned, seeing his name tag pinned to his uniform. The counselor started to walk away, but suddenly, he had an uncontrollable urge to cough. Cough ... cough!

"You all right, sir?" the janitor asked.

"Yes. I'm fine."

He walked a few more meters. "That cough seems to have gotten worse."

"What?"

"Oh, yes, Counselor Max. Is that what you're going by now?"

"I've always gone by that. It's my name." He coughed again.

"What's your last name?" he said as if it were a test.

"Wellington," he quickly answered.

He was nearly around the corner of the hall leading to the main entrance. The janitor had not moved at all. "You're lying. That's Jacob's name."

The counselor stopped abruptly. "What did you say?" he said, facing him.

"That's Jacob's name ... Commander." The counselor stood frozen like a statue. "Maybe if you weren't here, that simulation sickness of yours would subside," he said with a grin.

"Arias."

"Correct, sir."

"You should not of come. You've put us both at risk," the commander, still in its human form, warned. It began to walk up to him. "Leave."

"Why do you care for this human so much--enough that you would risk your life spending too much time in the simulator? You are our leader, Maximus. We cannot afford to lose you."

"I appreciate your concern, Arias. But you can't be here. I need you to leave."

"Why didn't you tell me about this in the first place? I could've helped you."

"I have a reason for my being here. I'm sorry I kept you out of it. But it would only make things worse if I told you."

"We've been friends for centuries; you can tell me anything."

"Not this. It's too much for you."

"Tell me!"

"How dare you!" the commander replied. It composed itself. "You do not raise your voice to a commanding officer." It covered its hand over its mouth. "Oh, no."

"What now?"

"Aggression, that is the first sign."

"The first sign?" it asked frustratingly. All of a sudden, the commander collapsed to the floor, coughing rigorously. "Sir?!" Arias shouted as it ran over.

...

A flushing sound came from behind the door of the men's restroom. "Eh," Jacob moaned as he left. He looked over at the janitor who had crouched down near the counselor. Struggling, Jacob walked to them with his arms around his stomach. "What's wrong with Max?" he asked.

"Oh! Jacob," Arias said, turning around so quickly. "He's having a seizure."

"I'll call an ambulance!" he said as he took out his phone. Suddenly, his fingers cramped, and the phone fell, shattering upon impact with the hard floor. "Ah!" Jacob shouted. His arm shook out of control.