Once the host finished escorting us to our beach front table, I cautiously sat down in the big cushiony chair, deathly afraid it would swallow me whole. Imagine my surprise when it was firm, barely giving a millimeter with my weight. The irony of the wealthy was never lost on me. It took everything inside me not to chuckle.

As Eleanor sits down, she immediately pulls the table cloth into her lap. Ever the student, I follow her actions to the tee, never wanting to give away that I'm nowhere near as sophisticated as she is.

Since I started working for Eleanor, I had only eaten out with her a handful of times. The few times I had, they were business meetings and I was there to take notes. This was the first time, however, that she had actually asked me to lunch, just her and I, for an actual meal. In fact, I thought she was talking to Stacey when she asked this morning -- as did my co-worker. Much to my surprise, she specifically requested me after Stacey embarrassed herself by accepting erroneously. Judging by the look on Stacey's face when I left, she was still pissed about it.

Over the past few weeks, I had learned a lot about Stacey; truth is, we are very different. You see, Stacey desperately wants to be Eleanor's friend and confidant, the one she goes to with all of her problems. Eleanor is far too much for me, however, so I am completely content with just doing my job. Don't get it twisted though, I'm passionate about doing my job well -- mostly because of my work ethic, but partly because I fear Eleanor's wrath.

Which is why these social situations with her are so dangerous for me. They make me feel trepidatious and fill me with these anxious butterflies because there's nothing binding, nor remotely similar between the two of us. She's VIP and ultra luxury Beverly Hills model chic, and I'm North Hollywood artsy lower middle class at best. Not even Silverlake artsy if we're getting competitive here.

Eleanor interrupted my thoughts as she opened her menu. "So, Olivia. How are you liking the job so far?"

"Um..." I follow suit, peering open the menu and nearly coughing at the ridiculous prices for food. $75 for fish? The beach is right there. I could just go catch us lunch...

Right. Eleanor is staring at me, waiting for me to answer. "Good. I like it, I do."

A slow pause filled the gaps between us, her lips pursing slowly.

"No one is giving you a hard time?" she asked, a sweet side of her coming out that I got to see on the rare occasion.

I smiled, shaking my head no. "No, everyone has been great so far. No trouble at all. Thanks, for asking." My mind did wander to the shitlist Stacey forced me to do on the regular, as well as the idiocy that was Hannah, but it really wasn't so bad other than that.

"Good," she finished. As she did, the waiter walked over to set down the glasses of water for the table.

Just as he was about to speak, Eleanor interrupted him. "I want Perrier, not tap water. Lemon-lime flavor. Don't open it, I can open it myself. Also, please bring me a doppio, but the real Italian kind, not the fake Starbucks knock-off kind. With three packets of Equal. Equal! Not Splenda. The blue packets." She coolly dismissed him with her hand before looking at me expectantly.

I realized my mouth was open a bit, shocked by her demands, even though I should be used to it by now. As the waiter pressed me for my order, I cleared my throat to buy some time without scrutiny.

"Coke, please."

"Diet?" the waiter asked.

"Did she say diet?" Eleanor interrupted.