Conjoined

Prequel short story part 7: Opha and Oura

"I'm trying."

"Try harder," Dathan ordered, standing over the little girl. Her face was red but she was not yet crying. Her brown wavy hair was pulled back behind her pale neck in waves that flowed out from the ponytail. "Concentrate."

Oura stood not far off, watching in agony as she cried for her sister. "If you were born identical, maybe you wouldn't have this problem. If you want to be useful you must work twice as hard. You will stay here until you have power."

He left the room with a cold sweep of his cape. As soon as the door clicked, Oura rushed to her sister. "It's okay, I know you can do it. Stop thinking like that."

"Stop listening to my thinking," Opha said bitterly, pulling away from her.

"Sissy," she whined sadly, biting her lip. "I wanna help. And I know his majesty will be mad if you don't learn how to use your-"

"I don't have any!" Opha crouched to the floor and buried her face in her knees as the tears finally broke out.

"Sister . . ." Oura gasped as she heard her sister's thoughts in her head. 'He will kill me. I'm worth nothing. He will kill me.'

"Opha!" She protested and grabbed her shoulders. "I won't let that happen! We'll find a way!" She sat down and looked at her. "Promise me that you'll believe."

Opha wiped her tears as her sister stretched out her pinky. "Promise," she repeated, a solemn look on her face.

Opha nodded and hook her pinky around hers. "Promise."

. . . . . .

Candlelight

Promises.

Murmuring,
promises.

The feeling of fire rolling up and down the skin of their arms.

Promises.
Hands, aching as they clutched one another.

Eyes closed
and hearts open.

They sat facing each other in a circle painted on the floor in white.

Just like the book said, they recited the words carefully.
They
begged

This was the only way
They knew

This was the only way.

The demon gently took their souls with the tips of his thumbs and forefingers and wove them together in a perfect bow.

Two
in one.

Everything must be shared now.

Thoughts,
never lonely again.

Together forever.

One being,
two bodies.

Two thoughts,
one mind.

No more s p a c e.

They agreed to this. They welcomed it. They dealt with the devil.

Promises

(Yo! This is a really short chapter compared to the others in this series. And in the end I wanted to portray the atrocities they committed with as few words as possible, since they themselves were girls of few words.

Anyway, hope you enjoyed.)