XIX

Those two days came faster than I would have expected them to, greeting me like a storm, stating that on Friday morning when I woke up, it was raining. I listened closely as the rain beat against my window gently at first, then becoming heavier as I heard the wind begin to shake the trees. A lightning crash that could probably be heard from 10 miles away rang through the air,  I think it's fair to say that the light pitter patter of the rain was what directly woke me up. I laid in bed with my eyes closed for a few moments, still listening to the storm which had died down a bit. Rain always woke me up. No matter the time, no matter the place. Most people find it peaceful, but rain honestly just made me worried. I stared at whatever was in sight as I tried to focus and calm down. Coming to terms with the rain, I rolled off my bed, not thinking, and quickly caught myself by shooting out my hands under me so that I wouldn't face plant. The thud followed by another crash of lightning was enough to wake me up fully so that I could stand up and walk normally to the bathroom and back without feeling too drowsy.

I would've completely forgotten what was happening later that night if it wasn't for the dress that I saw hung up in my closet when I opened it up. There it hung, reminding me of the fact that I was actually going to homecoming. I got a little down though as I thought of being a 5th wheel all night. I stared dress for a small moment, admiring it in all of its glory, before pushing it to the side to pull out a t-shirt and some sweatpants-- the most comfortable option. Also, recently at school, the air conditioning went on the fritz and now all of the rooms were icy cold. Once I put on the outfit, I threw my hair up into a messy bun after running my hands through it. I smiled contently in the mirror, satisfied with my look, and then turned around to head back to my dresser.

I picked up my phone to turn on some music as I applied my makeup. While setting out my makeup absentmindedly, I was also coming to a conclusion of which playlist to play on Spotify. Just then, my phone buzzed with a message from Alex.

Alex- Hey...

Me- Hey...

Alex- Would it be okay if I came and picked you up this morning? Got something I was to ask you before school.

I frowned at that message, but then smiled as I nodded my head as if he could see me.

Me- Sure! What time are you going to be here?

Alex- Erm....now?

I once again frowned in confusion.

As soon as I got the last message, I heard the chime of my door bell and heard my mom call out that she was getting it. 

"No, I can get it-" My feeble attempt to stop her failed as I ran down the steps to see Alex standing in the door way. He was wearing a plain blue t-shirt that hugged his arms and torso, probably from the amount of water on them, so that both were well defined. His eyes appeared to be even more piercing with the blue complementing them. When I looked at his hair, I couldn't help but smile. His hair was almost plastered to his face from the water it collected between his car and our door. Blue jeans, Sperrys, and his grey beanie were all that was left to complete the look. He looked up at me and smiled, making my heart almost skip a beat. My mom smiled brightly at him, while it took him a moment more to remove his eyes from mine and down to hers. I blinked to snap out of whatever daze I was in and came down the rest of the stairs.

"And who might this handsome young man be?" My mom asked, looking between me and Alex and wagging her eyebrows like Alyssa or Ken might do. I rolled my eyes at her before waving her off.

"This is-"

"Hello Mrs. Jacobs, I'm Alex, Alex Conner." He replied, showing off his gorgeous smile. She stepped forward and gave him a hug before pulling back and smiling more. Now my mom had wet spots on her t-shirt, but she still beamed.