Chapter Two: Finding Liam

Liam shivered violently, hugging himself under the tattered and stained cloak. He was so cold, so hungry, so tired.

He saw his father die, had to leave his home, a solid nine years ago. He was now seventeen. Still, not a soul noticed his ears and tail. No one ever spoke to him, no one even saw him. He would stay slinked in alleyways and under bridges, waiting for his father to save him. He barely remembered the man. He could faintly picture his loving smile and lanky body. He still had the dog-tag. ‘Property of Antonin Koher’ was faded but Liam didn’t mind. He couldn’t even read so the words made no difference to him.  He was only skin and bones and his sunken in face was always slick with tears.  

He was in the middle of picking through garbage behind a fast food restraint, trying to find a few bites to eat when he heard loud laughter and a few lads talking.

“I promise this is a shortcut Hazza! I’ve used it tons of times.” A thick Irish accent declared. Liam tightened his grip on the cloak, quickly dropping onto the ground and curling into himself. He couldn’t let anyone see him. Not just because he was naked, but also for his late father told him not to.

“You better be right cause I’m really hungry and it’s bloody freezing and our dinner reservation was twenty minutes ago,” A deep yet honey-filled voice replied.

Liam bit his lip and tried to calm his body’s quivering, pulling the torn cloak further up on his body. It no longer smelled of Antonin, now it reeked of sweat and blood, mud and tears. He stayed as silent as possible, peeking over from his spot in between the brick wall and garbage bin.

t was four lads, each better looking than the next. There was a blonde one, bright blue eyes. His cheeks and nose were stained with cold and he had a sweet grin on his face. Next was a shorter one. A curvy body and a sweet fairy like way of walking. His arm was tucked around the blonde’s waist. Then a tall curly haired lad who had bright greens and lovely plump limps. He was tucked under the arm of a dark skinned one with perfectly quaffed hair and beautiful cheekbones. They were all managing to touch each other in some way.

They walked and talked and Liam grew more and more tense as the neared.

“Boo bear, did you hear that?” The blonde and Irish one asks the shorter one.

“Hear what?” The short one, Boo bear, had a high sweet voice.

“It was like..a whimper. Hazza, Zee? You hear it?”

Liam’s freezing body tensed when he realized they were talking about him. He looked to the lads and he could tell they were now looking for the source of his whine.

“Maybe it was just you-“ The dark skinned one starts before he cuts himself off. His eyes were now straight on Liam’s poorly covered body. “Found it.”

The four boys all rush over and before Liam could process what had happened, all four were crouching in front of him, starting with concerned eyes. He was glad his hair hid his ears and tail was secured under the cloak.

“Are you alright Lad?” Boobear asked softly, as to not scare him. “Can you come out of there?”

Liam whimpered in fear, slowly obeying. He didn’t want to die like his daddy. He only knew people was cruel and awful things, considering that day was his last contact with one.

The boys all stared, their eyes wide when Liam came out. He was so thin and he was shivering, his fingers and toes and lips a bit off color. They curly haired one raised his gaze to Liam’s face.

“What was that?” He scooted closer and prodded at the dirty curls on the hybrid’s head. When the ears twitch out of their little shelter, the boys looked even more shocked. Accept Boobear, who was staring in a spacey zone.

Liam whimpered, quickly scooting back into his space.

The dark haired boy frowned. “Hey..Love, it’s okay.” He whispers. He was greatly surprised when he saw the two fluffy ears. But it added to the adorableness he saw in the boy. “Come back out..”

Liam does as told and the lads all smile warmly.

“Don’t worry, we won’t hurt you.” The one with the curls said. They all had a conversation with glances, all deciding to take this thing home and get him warm and clean before questioning him.

“I’m Harry. Or Hazza, if you prefer.” Curly said. “That’s Louis or Boo” He pointed to the short one. “Niall, Ni,” He pointed to the blonde. “And Zayn or Zee.” He finishes with the dark skinned boy. “What’s your name?”

“L-Liam..”

“Well Liam, do you have a place to stay?”

Liam bit his lip roughly. He was so cold and so hungry. He wanted a shelter but he knew better to go with these people. People killed people and he, for some reason, wanted to live. But a part of his brain was telling him to go. “Umm..” He murmurs.

“I promise you, we’ll keep you safe.” The dark skinned one, Zayn, smiles softly.

Liam couldn’t help but feel like the smile was genuine. All of these boys looked so kind and happy. They wouldn’t hurt them, would they? “O-Okay..”

Niall grinned and nodded, standing up. The others did the same and the one he thought was short, Louis, pulled him to his feet. He then saw he was quite a bit shorter than Louis.

He shifted and took in a heavy breath. It took so much effort for him to even stand. He felt ready to fall but Harry scooped him up before he could. Harry grinned cheekily at him, covering him up with the cloak before putting his own coat over his frail body.

“C’mon Babe, we’ll get you warmed up in no time.” He pressed a kiss to Liam’s cold forehead.