Chapter 28

Katniss P.O.V.

"Someone was sleepy," I say when Peeta comes through the door carrying Willow. Peeta chuckles and lays Willow down on the couch.

"Yeah. I don't think she'll be going back after lunch," Peeta says. "Where's Rye?"

"Upstairs in his crib," I reply. "He hasn't been fussy today, but I can't get him to take a nap."

"Maybe that's a good thing," Peeta says. "Maybe he'll sleep better tonight."

"Hopefully," I say with a laugh. "If you want to finish getting the table set for lunch, then I'll go get Rye fed."

"Okay," Peeta says. He starts off towards the kitchen, and I go upstairs. Before I even enter the nursery, I can hear Rye's adorable gurgles. I go over to the crib to see that he's chewing on his hand.

"Do those fingers taste good?" I ask Rye in a baby voice. He looks a up at me and smiles around his fist. I bend down and carefully pick Rye up out of his crib. "Daddy and Willow are home." Rye's eyes widen, and I smile at him.

"You love your sister, don't you?" I ask Rye as I bounce him in my arms. He giggles as I carry him downstairs.

"There's Daddy," I tell Rye as I carry him into the kitchen. Peeta turns around and smiles real wide.

"What are you doing, little buddy?" Peeta says as he takes Rye's little hand in his. "Did you have a nap?"

"Peeta, if you want to hold him, you don't have to wait for my permission."

Peeta smiles at me. "I didn't want to just take him from you."

"Peeta," I laugh. "He's your son too." I hand Rye to Peeta, and he smiles over at me. "Rye, tell Daddy that he's silly."

"Daddy!"

"In the kitchen Willow!" Peeta hollers back. Willow comes running into the kitchen as fast as her little legs can carry her.

"What are you guys doin' in here?" she asks us.

"We're getting lunch ready, Willow," Peeta tells her.

Willow makes a face and shakes her head. "I wanna eat lunch with Grandpa." Peeta and I start laughing.

"Why?" I ask her.

"'Cause I jus' do, Momma," Willow replies as she crosses her arms.

"Attitude," I mumble. Peeta chuckles and nods his head.

"You want me to take you over there, Willow?" Peeta asks her.

"Yeah," Willow says excitedly. Peeta laughs and turns to face me again.

"I'll be back in a minute," Peeta tells me. He starts to hand Rye back to me, but our baby boy starts throwing a fit. "Stay here with Momma for a minute, little dude," Peeta says softly. Once Peeta walks Willow out the front door, Rye is screaming to the top of his lungs.

"Baby boy, you've been so good all day. What's wrong now?" I ask Rye as I walk him around. I fix his bottle and try feeding him, which causes him to calm down for a few minutes.

When Peeta gets back, he takes Rye from me again, and we sit down at the table to eat.

"Do you think that you and Rye will be okay by yourselves for a little while tonight?" Peeta asks me.

"Yeah," I say slowly. "Why? Are you going to be working late tonight?"

"Yeah," Peeta replies. "I didn't get much done this morning."

I laugh a little. "I wonder why."

Peeta smiles at me, and then looks down at Rye. "Willow will probably be staying with Haymitch tonight. So it will just be you and little man for a while."