Chapter 6- Doubts

Bắt đầu từ đầu

Greydon, the men, and I all pile into the craft. It takes off with barely a nudge, and we're soon on our way to interrogation. The lights and sirens start to go off, identifying this as a TKA vehicle.

We arrive at our destination- a long, narrow building adjacent to the TKA headquarters where I work- within minutes. We all get out, and I once again find myself escorted by armed men.

Greydon flashes the microchip in his card at the main door's sensor. It slides open, and we step into a hallway plated with glass. It doesn't appear to be fiberglass, so I am confused as to its purpose.

The police members show me into one of the cells that branches off from the main area. It's made of the same material, which lets in light but seems to filter it somehow.

"Interrogation will be with you shortly," one man says, removing my handcuffs. He and the others turn to leave. I absentmindedly rub my wrists. I'm not sure if the short wait is a bad thing, but given the circumstances it can't be good.

Curious, I tap the glass with a finger. "Don't bother. It's ten times stronger than fiberglass and more flexible than neoprene," Greydon answers my unasked question. He then shuts the heavy door behind him without telling me the name of the mysterious glass. I am alone.

I cross my arms and start to pace, trying to make sense of all this. It's been a long, eventful day. Starting a new job is stressful, especially when you add all these other problems on top.

Halfway through my seventeenth rotation, I spot a flicker in the corner of my eye. I whirl around and come face to face with Bil.

"Bil?" I gasp. "What are you-" I start to ask, but then he disappears.

Am I hallucinating? I muse to myself. This is the second time I've had this problem in less than an hour. It can't be normal.

I'm able to watch the sunset through the glass, which relaxes me a bit. Before long, it's pitch black out. The stars begin to wink on, forming the constellations I've admired every night since they passed the Anti Light Pollution Act. All buildings have to have their lights off from eleven p.m. to six a.m. so humans' circadian rhythms can at least keep some semblance of normality.

I find myself nodding off. Every time that happens, I force my eyes open. Then I pace briskly for a while until I feel invigorated. I go through this cycle countless times, until I hear a knock on the door. I stop and wait.

"You have a visitor," someone calls from the other side of the door. It sounds like Greydon, but I can't be sure.

"Come... in..." I reply, not really sure what to say. The door opens, and this time Bil actually does step in, accompanied by none other than the Boss. I swallow and try not to give anything away.

"May I help you?" I ask.

"Maxx, Bil here has come to bail you out. I told him it wasn't necessary, considering what you stole, but he insisted," the Boss explains.

"Yup. That wasn't right, Maxx, but hey, everyone makes mistakes. You're free to go now," Bil smiles. I pale. Do they both know about the armband?

"There's plenty more jewelry in the world. A few missing pieces won't do much harm. And you promised to return them, right, Maxx?" the Boss confirms.

"Of course," I say, trying not to laugh. They think I stole jewels?

"Let's get out of here, then. It's late, and I don't know about you, but I'm exhausted," Bil says. I nod and follow the two of them out of the door.

"All of the paperwork has been done, expect for a few things. I'll have Soz give them to you tomorrow," the Boss says. Dropping his voice, he whispers to me, "Make sure you return them or you'll be fired." I nod, more confused than ever. He legitimately believes that I stole jewels and not the armband. What kind of twisted reality has occurred here?

Greydon is waiting at the front door. He buzzes us out. When I pass, he leans over and threatens, "You were lucky this time. Next time, not so much. Return the armband and you'll eliminate these paradoxes." Then he's gone, and the three of us are alone in the cool night air.

"Maxx, I have some things I need to talk to you about. The Boss has agreed to give you tomorrow off. Meet me at the cafe at ten and we'll talk," Bil states.

"Uh, okay. Which cafe?" I question.

"There's only one in this city."

"Great. Thanks." I'll just have to ask Soz when I get home. Which, speaking of home, I should be getting there now.

I say goodbye to Bil and the Boss, board a taxi, and head towards my apartment. I could do with some quality down time, especially after today.

When I get there, the first thing that I do is wash my face. The warm water helps to clear my thoughts a bit. I splash some onto my face and let it soak. Then I go to dry it off.

I study myself in the mirror. I look the same as I almost always have, except for one thing. I can't quite figure out what it is, but it's different. I look a little harder, and then I see it.

My eyes are starting to turn violet.

••••••••••Author's Ramblings••••••••••

Yay, an extra long chapter! This makes up for last week, which was a bit shorter.

I've planned out the rest of the story, and it should be around ten or eleven chapters long. This means that we're already over halfway done! Let me know what you think of it so far. Will you be sad to see it end?

If you're confused about the significance of this chapter's ending one liner, I'll give you a hint- reread chapter one!

As of the time I am writing this, there are ninety seven reads. My goal was one hundred, so there will be no double update. Sorry! We'll do better next time, though.

Thank you all so much for you support, and I hope that you continue to enjoy "For the Truth."

Have a great night!