Chapter Three - Spontaneous

Hayden

Fury burned through my veins as I ran after Jett, my strong legs allowing me to draw even with him quickly while he fled. He shot me a terrified look out of the corner of his eye while we ran, and I slowed my pace to allow him to keep up. My jaw clenched in anger as I tried to hold back from cussing him out for being so incredibly reckless.

'Stupid,' I couldn't help but mutter. He didn't reply, but I could hear the heavy puffing of his breaths as he ran, his body unaccustomed to the physical exertion required for a raid. The edge of the tree line was quickly approaching, and I knew Kit and Dax must have been hiding just beyond sight, waiting for us. I slowed enough as we approached to let Jett run through the gaps in the trunks before me.

As soon as we were covered, I reached forward to grab his arm and yank him back to face me.

'What the hell, Jett?!' I demanded, struggling to keep my voice quiet. Even though we were covered, we still weren't completely safe. I glared down at him, his pitiful expression doing nothing to soften the hard anger I felt.

'I said I was sorry!' he protested weakly. His wide brown eyes stared up at mine, remorse filling them completely.

'Jett, you idiot!' Kit interjected, appearing from behind a tree. He looked absolutely livid. 'Are you trying to get yourself killed?'

'No,' he murmured sheepishly. He hardly even dared glance at Kit as he glowered down at him.

'You can't just follow us, little man. It's not safe,' Dax said, his tone the kindest of the three. It took a lot to piss Dax off, but it was still clear he disapproved of Jett's recklessness. I watched Jett as he chanced glances at the three of us. He looked intimidated, the glares from we older and bigger men breaking down his tiny bit of courage.

'I just wanted to be tough and brave like you guys,' he said quietly, dropping his gaze to stare at the ground. I let out a heavy sigh and crossed my arms over my chest.

'Being patient is being brave, Jett,' I told him. He lifted his soft gaze from the ground to look at me.

'You guys went on raids at my age,' he said quietly. That was true: Kit, Dax, and I had been going on raids since we were hardly ten years old, but we had always been better than those our own age. We were smarter, faster, stronger, and just as lethal as anyone else years older. Jett didn't understand that no matter how much he wanted to be, he wasn't like us.

'We'll know when you're ready,' Dax said, saving me from telling Jett the embarrassing truth: he just wasn't cut out for it yet.

'Okay,' Jett mumbled. 'I really am sorry. I didn't mean to put anyone in danger.'

'Keep that in mind next time,' Kit said harshly, hitching his bag over his back. 'Now let's get out of here before they come after us.'

'Good idea. We hardly got away as it is,' I said. I readjusted the gun beneath my waistband to make sure it was secured after running so quickly. Everyone nodded as we started our trek through the darkness of the trees, heading back to our own camp. We were silent until we'd moved a good distance away from Greystone.

'Wait, how did you get away?' Dax asked suddenly as if just realising what I'd said. 'Did they catch you or what?'

'A girl did,' I said. Her face flashed before my field of vision, the burning green eyes narrowed at me in determination. 'She had a gun but she let us go.'

'What?' Kit asked incredulously. He glanced at me sceptically, his face barely decipherable through the darkness.

'She let us go,' I repeated, shrugging.