Chapter 5

It was exactly the same. The welcome mat at the foot of the door still had the first three letters faded away, provoking an immature giggle as per usual. The white paint continued to peel leisurely off the outside wall, not strong enough to resist the relentless weather. Even the headless gnome kept up his responsibility as protector of the garden.

Not a single thing was amiss or violated in the slightest.

"You can come in now!" Hon's baritone voice called out from somewhere in the house. "No, never mind! There's someone in here!"

My body stiffened in alert.

"Okay, no, false alarm. That was my reflection."

I let out a string of curses, visibly deflating into a pile of relief. I just want to get this over and done with. Every time I hear an angry, demanding siren go by, I think it's my punishment for ditching school. Arrested for being an irresponsible student- oh how the other inmates would fear me.

 What's Ian going to say when he notices my absence in Biology? I know, he'll probably think I went off with Caleb again. I swore to him though that I'd stay away from-

"Your attention span is worrying." Agathon stood over the threshold, looking down at me with his lips pursed into a grim line.

Not as worrying as my observation skills though. How could I have possibly failed to notice the dark, looming figure? Even with the wings retracted, he was the opposite of any stripy-t-shirted Wally; never being skimmed over or left unnoticed. He was an angel.

"Are you coming or not?"

Aggravated by his condescending tone, I swiftly shoved him aside and entered the building. Agathon just chuckled faintly before silently following at a much more slower pace.

Everything so far seemed to remain in its original place. But really how much havoc could a couple of people cause? With determined steps, I went to inspect the dining room.

My hands were balled into tight fists as I analysed every piece of furniture. The mahogany table stood lengthways, the most dominant feature of the room, surrounded by its matching pushed in chairs. A blue vase of fake red roses (which mom would put car fresheners in to give off the impression they produced a natural fragrance) was the centrepiece  of the room. I felt oddly nostalgic, just looking at it.

Again, nothing appeared to be disturbed in the least.

"I honestly thought this would be more fun. You know, a bloody message dripping across the wall, a few dead bodies perhaps or maybe even-" Hon cut off abruptly once he took in the undoubtedly horrendous sight that was me.

Warm tears leaked profusely down my flustered cheeks and then continued its resolute journey down my neck. Even with my now blocked nose, I was overwhelmed by the smell of salt.

I kept my eyes averted from his, refusing to meet his intensive gaze. With every pathetic sniffle, I wanted to slap myself all the more.

Agathon cautiously began to approach me much like a lion to the weakest gazelle, afraid of it fleeing. I hung my head in shame, a persistent waterfall still consuming my face.

Now less than an arm away, he began to rub his neck nervously. I've never been much of a crier so it doesn't surprise me that he's put out of his comfort zone.

"I'm fine, you don't have to-" a sob broke out, shaking my entire being as it violently erupted from my mouth. That's what you get for trying to talk! I could always hold it together-  that is until I'm obliged to stupidly self-diagnose myself to every damn nosy, irritably intrusive passerby. Oh now I'm angry too. Just peachy.