"A perfect distraction," I say, morbidly. Arlo nods and points to a few children standing off the edge of the crowd. The Ungifted, they all look away, while the adults search eagerly for a glimpse of murder and death. Do some people deserve to die? Yes. Do some people deserve a humiliating public execution? Yes. Should public executions be practiced? No.

I take the dagger Tulsa gave me earlier today out of my ankle sheath. When she handed it to me, I immediately cowered away from it and refused to carry it. She said, "you need it to protect yourself and more importantly, to protect others." I decided to set aside my fear and take the knife from her. Now I hold it, my hands slightly shaking. I look to Arlo, who is searching every face of every ungifted child. His eyes settle on a young boy around twelve years old. He cocks his chin towards the child, "that's our target." I look to see if he'll point out more children, but he doesn't. "We're only taking one?" I ask, incredulous.

"That is the mission."

"So we save one kid and leave the rest here to suffer?" I can't do that.

"We can't save everyone. I was told to extract this kid and that's what we're going to do."

"There's two of us, we can save two children." Anything is better than just taking one child, especially when we could've taken more.

"We can't jeopardize the mission."

"What kind of mission is saving only one child?" I almost forget to whisper and barely stop myself from shouting.

"Look, I don't like it any more than you do, but I have to follow orders."

"Why him? Who decides who gets to be saved and who gets to stay and suffer?"

"I don't know. All I know is that this kid is important and he is the reason I'm here. You said you wouldn't be a distraction, so stop being one."

I huff, annoyed he won't event try to help more than just one child. "So what's the plan?" Arlo thinks for a long time, "When the executions are full swing, we cut the leash and lead him away as quickly as possible."

"That's it?" Somehow I felt like it would be more complicated.

"No, that's not it. Sneaking away will be difficult. We will have seconds before that child's owner realizes he's escaped. We have to grab him, quick, and run as fast as possible. I have an escape route planned so follow me and don't fall behind."

"I won't fall behind. How will we know when the executions are in full swing?" From our vantage point, there are too many people blocking the view, so we won't be able to actually see the execution.

"The crowd will tell us." His answer is strange, but I trust that he knows what he's doing. "So, what exactly will I do?" Arlo looks down at me, "If I can't get a clear shot at the boy, I will need you to provide a bigger distraction. Pay attention to me because I will gesture for you if I need you."

"What kind of distraction?"

"I don't know, bump into someone, ask the owner a question, think of something that will work." Arlo is clearly frustrated. I hold my hands up in surrender mode. Arlo grabs my left hand and tugs it down, "will you put that away."

"Why? Don't I need it?"

"Are you being attacked?" He asks me.

"No."

"Then you don't need it." I put my knife back in its sheath and rub my hands together. Arlo looks down, noticing my behavior. "Nervous?" I look at him, wishing I could see his eyes, "yes." In a gesture so unlike him, Arlo puts a hand over mine. "Don't be, there is no room in this revolution for nerves." His words are sharp, the complete opposite of his gentle touch. I lower my hands and place them behind my back. Arlo looks down at me, but says nothing.