Possession

A thick, black smoke filled the room. It didn't smell like smoke though, it smelled like rotten eggs. That's what threw me off. Was someone burning.. Garbage? Yeah, that's probably it.. The smoke welled up, like it was planning to fly somewhere, and fast. A long, dark finger of this strange smoke came toward me, and I was paralyzed with fear. What was going on? What is that smoke?

My mouth opened, without my consent I might add, and the smoke shot down my throat, burning my esophagus and filling my lungs to the point I thought I would burst. The gas, for now I was sure it wasn't smoke, tasted worse than it smelled. The only word that I could think of to describe it was evil. I tried to make myself vomit, to clear the poisons from my body, but I couldn't move myself. My body rolled its neck and stretched its arms and legs.

'Was I possessed?' I thought with fear.

"Yeah. My name is Kay. You can't control yourself can you, Camryn?" the thing controlling me sneered.

'No,' I thought, 'I can't move anything, but somehow I'm moving. Who.. or.. what are you?'

The thing laughed, "You seriously need to learn. I'm a demon, and you're possessed."

The realization dawned on me.

'Demons.. they aren't some made up creature for bedtime stories? They aren't just the antagonists of the Bible? They are.. Real?' I thought curiously.

"Yep," said the demon, Kay, " We are real. And so is every other "mythical" creature that you humans can ever imagine. And more," Kay laughed,"You are going to help me. Lucifer needs his army, after all."

'Lucifer? Like, the devil Lucifer?' I thought.

"Yeah, that's my dad," said Kay,"But enough with this small talk, lets go."

'Go?' I began to panic. 'Go where?'

"We have to help Lucifer get rid of the human race! We have to destroy the humans AND the angels so we can have heaven!" Kay cackled.

I was scared. No, not scared, terrified, of what this demon could make me do. And I couldn't stop it. I didn't know how. I was almost sure that nobody knew how.

Kay walked out the front door and across the street to my neighbor, Mrs. Karysin's house. She had been widowed at seventy and yesterday was her ninety-first birthday. I always came over and helped her around her house, cleaning and cooking with her when she needed it. Kay knocked on the front door. A small voice called from inside, "Who is it?"

"It's my Mrs. Karysin, Camryn," said Kay sweetly, trying to gain the lady's trust. I heard the bolt click on the other side of the door and a withered hand reached around and opened the door. Mrs. Karysin stood before me, still in her nightgown, considering it was 1:00 AM.

"Ca-Camryn? What are you doing up at this time of night?" Mrs. Karysin said sweetly, trying to mask the sleep in her voice.

"Oh.. Just this," said Kay, snaking her arms around Mrs. Karysin's neck and snapping it like a twig. I watched in horror as Mrs. Karysin's lifeless body dropped to the floor.

"One down, 6 billion more to go," cackled Kay.