Chapter 19: Cracks in the Sidewalk, I'm Over All the Small Talk

Start from the beginning

"Well, I, for one, would love to hear these stories that have Mari sent into a giggle fest," Kaylynn cocked an eyebrow with a mischievous grin on her face. I was silent for a moment, prompting Mari to speak again.

"They're gonna find out one way or another," she shrugged, "You might as well be the one to tell 'em."

I rolled my eyes but I couldn't keep the smile off my face as she hopped off of Michael when he reached our little circle and stepped between Ashton and I before moving in front of me and sitting herself down in my lap. She sat down so she was facing me, wrapping her legs around my waist as well as her arms, settling herself against me. My own arms wound around her, hugging her close.

"How are you feeling?" I murmured into her ear as if everyone else wasn't close enough to hear anyway.

"Better," she whispered, nuzzling her face into my neck as I kissed the side of her head.

As Michael, Ashton, and I reminisced on our school days and the times before the band became as popular as it is, I could feel Mari's body shake as she laughed along with everyone. She was pretty quiet throughout the time we were there, but as we were winding down to begin getting ready for the show, she finally spoke again.

"As fun as your embarrassing stories are to hear, I like listening to you talk about music more," she told me.

"Yeah?" I hummed in response, "Why's that?"

"I like how rambly you get-" I could feel her smile. "-when you talk about the first song you ever wrote or your favorite song to play on guitar... I like seeing your face light up when someone asks you how you got into bass or says they started playing because of you."

"If you think he lights up when he talks about music, you should see him when someone mentions you," Michael snickered. Before I could even scold him, I felt her grin again and press her lips to my neck, prompting me to squeeze her gently.

"You're one to talk, Clifford," Kaylynn snorted softly as we all got up, "Have you heard your reaction when someone even suggests food?"

"Are you implying that you don't give the same reaction?" he scoffed as he rolled his eyes.

"No," she stated seriously, "I'm implying that you seem to think you don't."

"No one's blaming you for loving food, Mikey," Mari giggled, her voice slightly muffled from how she had her head on my chest, "We've just noticed that you're very...passionate...about it sometimes."

"We have an entire song about it, you know," Ashton reminded him, "I sing it at every show."

"Ah, yes!" Kenzie chimed in, "The song so brilliantly titled Pizza and containing only one line! How could anyone ever forget your best song?"

"You know what?" Ashton tried not to smile as he grabbed her waist and started tickling her.

"Oh, get a room!" Mari shouted over Kenzie's squeals, "You two are disgusting!"

"You're one to talk, Miss PDA," Vanessa laughed when Ashton and Kenzie finally quieted down.

"I don't make it a secret that I like Calum when we're in public," she reminded all of us, "I make sure everyone knows about it." I rolled my eyes playfully but I definitely wasn't disagreeing with her. "You two are the ones who act like no one can tell," she went on, "You guys stare at each other all the time. I'm pretty sure 'Ashton and Kenzie' has trended on Twitter before!"

"You're just upset because you and Calum have never trended," Kenzie replied with a blush, the gesture of her sticking her tongue out at Mari being happily returned.