Disappearing Hearts -Chapter 14 ~Broken Veins~

Chapter 14 ~Broken Veins~

Chase watched in awe and horror as a primeval battle broke out literally in his front room.

Cherie threw herself gracefully at the snarling existence. Cherie may have been fast but the thing was faster. It dodged to the side and rolled up on the other side of the room, leaving behind it a black substance that could have been dried blood. It was oozing from every pore on the thing and falling to the floor in heavy droplets.

"Awwww c'mon I just cleaned this place" Chase heard Cherie hiss.

The thing didn't take any direct notice. Instead it ran at Cherie with its arms outstretched. Chase couldn't see how she would save herself, but she did, with a graceful twist to the right, just out of reach. She whooshed behind it and kicked it's back sending it hurtling into a wall headfirst. Chase heard a soft crack as the being fell limply on the floor in a heap.

"I just cleared this place up" Cherie growled as she dusted her hands off and walked over to Chase.

"Hey like I said...you could have left it in a state as far as I was concerned" Chase snapped back.

Cherie just tutted and rolled her eyes, offering Chase a hand which he took regretfully.

She pulled him up, arched herself on to her tip toes and kissed Chase on the lips.

He couldn't help but feel sick within himself. Cherie was attractive but he didn't feel like that for her. He was still recovering from Evelyn and his random schmooze with Jack. But something deep down in Chase wouldn't let Cherie stop, so, instead of pushing her away, he pulled her closer. Chase placed his hands on her waist as she wound her arms around his neck. But the moment was short lived. The thing was stirring.

Chase pulled away first, Cherie fought with him to place his lips on hers. 

"I thought you killed it?" Chase murmured.

"I did" Cherie sighed and fluttered her eyelashes.

Chase shook his head.

"I don't think you did"

Both Cherie and Chase spun to face the oversized corpse cracking bones back into place and steadily making its way to a standing position.

It turned to face them both. Its face was a mess. Gashes and scars mottled the green flesh. Teeth that protruded from its lipless mouth. It reminded Chase of a skull but with flesh. He could see a whole array of teeth, all of different sizes. Some were broken others perfect and long. Most of them were crooked.

"A dentists dream right there" Chase hissed to Cherie.

"But I don't think Braces would suffice though"

"No neither do I" Cherie agreed.

After a moment it crouched down and was ready to pounce. Chase could see its muscles bunch up, he could literally see them. The sight made him sick yet terrified of the sheer power that the muscles could harbour.

Cherie (no longer clutched onto Chase) shifted into a position that mirrored that of the things stance. No longer bathing in her own pride and flirtatiousness. Instead she looked fatal and serious. Blond curls hung down. Her back was arched, and Chase caught a glimpse of an intricate swallow tattoo on her lower back. He blinked back and watched as the thing on the opposite side of the room snarled and snapped what seemed to be warnings. It was concentrating on Cherie with extreme focus.

Then without warning it lunged, Cherie was in no way ready as it grappled her in the stomach and sent her crashing through the front door. Chase couldn't see much through the door, but he saw the enemy sailing back into the room. Cherie followed and she didn't half look pissed off.

Chase ran over to her, as he saw it bunching up again, pushed out of the way as it sprang at them. He braced himself for the impact of it crushing him to the floor. But the impact never came. Instead he opened his eyes, and there it stood, right in front of him not doing a thing. But Chase thought he recognised the eyes from somewhere. He just couldn't put his finger on why it reminded him of something.

Then its eyes were averted elsewhere, somewhere behind him. Chase swung round but didn't have chance to focus. He thought he saw Cherie jumping at him, and then the world went black as the last thing he could focus on was the corner of the nightstand.

When the world finally came to rest in Chase's open eyes, sudden pain struck his head.

"Oww" he hissed.

He raised his hand to his forehead. When he brought his hand back down to eye level, his fingers were daubed red.

"Fucking perfect"

When he tried to stand, the world shifted underneath him with great speed, so he sat back down again, hoping and praying that the world would stop spinning so fast sometime soon.

He was too enveloped in his own pain and thoughts, that Chase didn't even register the footsteps on broken glass as somebody entered his room.

"Holy shit Chase!"

Chase looked up towards the now tattered front door and saw Jack. She came running towards him and crouched by him patting away the blood from his face.

"Oh hi Jack"

"My name's Chase and I am a magnet for trouble and destruction" he exclaimed with a smirk.

"Yeah I can see that" she sniffed.

"Is that...?"

"Au de rotting corpse? Yup in its finest form" Chase interrupted.

Chase decided against looking at Jack any more, he looked around his once again destroyed apartment.

"Hey did you by any chance see a girl walk or possibly run out of here? About your height and blond?" Chase asked.

"Nah can't say I have why?" Jack remarked.

"She of any importance?"

"No it's just she's..." Chase paused to think of a good enough excuse other than 'she's a Vampire'. He wouldn't betray Evelyn like that...even if they weren't together, he still loved her.

"She's just a friend, that's all" he smiled.

Pain hit Chase like a bolt of lightning. A white light filled his vision as he fell back out of Jack's arms and writhed in more pain than he thought imaginable.

Pictures began to form in his head before he could act. A face stood out. The features becoming more powerful and much more beautiful. It took Chase a few seconds to see that it was Evelyn. But he didn't feel anything pull at his heart like he did the last time he physically saw her. Then it was like Chase and Evelyn were in a private world of their own. In Chase's head.

Everything around them was white, and the pair had taken on a three dimensional shape.

"Evelyn?"

"Chase?! Chase?!" Her voice sounded on the verge of hysterics. She jogged towards Chase and threw her arms around his neck.

"Evelyn? What's going on?" Chase was completely confused.

"You need to get out now!" Evelyn sounded as though she was far away.

They were no longer holding on to each other. The connection was breaking. But Chase wouldn't let it. He couldn't. He had so much to talk to Evelyn about.

"No" He shouted and flailed. Fighting the pull that was drawing him away.

"EVELYN!"

"CHASE!"

"NOO!"

"CCCCHHHHAAAASSSSEEEE!"

"I love you"

Chase just heard her whisper. Then the world returned. Jack was screaming his name, when he came around she stopped and began to babble. But Chase cut her off before she could even begin.

"We need to get out of here" He began.

"What? But...Chase? Why...?" Jack rambled incoherently.

"We need get out" he breathed.

"Now"