Disappearing Hearts -Chapter 1 ~A Newer Start~

Chapter 1 ~A Newer Start~

New Year. New school. New place. New start.

Same nerves.

It was the 6th time that Chase Brewer had moved schools. He didn't know why. His parents just picked him up and shipped him off to a new school. His mother said it was a new start or his dad found a newer, better job than before. Same excuses. Same lies. Chase never did anything wrong. If anything, he was a straight A student with a bright future. It was his last year in high school. He was ready for college. But still his parents insisted upon moving him up and down the US.

Chase's attention suddenly was brought back to the devastating sight of his new school, in all anger he pried the car door open and stepped out into the bright sun. It almost dazzled him, blind. Chase squinted his eyes and raised his arm to shield his eyes from the strange bright light, while his eyes adjusted to the sudden brightness. He gazed at his new school once again passively. He didn't think much of it. He'd been to better. Yet he'd also been to worse.

He slammed the burnt red car door shut, pulled his worn out bag up on to his shoulder. The 17 year old boy heard the crackle and whir of the shot electric window as it wound down.

"Chase please be home on time" called a weathered, weak voice.

Chase turned slowly to the garishly, dying car. He bent and peered in through the now open window. Inside, shredded and poor quality, dull grey interior was practically hanging onto the seats, yet peeling away from what was left of a decent metal frame. His mother was perched on the driver's seat, lent across the passenger seat which was worse for wear, waiting for an answer from a son that looks nothing like her. Chase's mother was shorter than he was. Her faded hair that was once blond sat in ringlets around her face. Dressed in a gaudy pink tracksuit, and grey t-shirt. Too much make-up and way too much fake tan.

"Yes mom. I'll be home on time, don't worry" He replied exasperated.

Chase turned swiftly and plugged his headphones in, pressed play on his iPod and walked off before his mother could say anything else.

Almost as soon as he had walked through the gates to the 6th high school he'd been to, girls were swarming round him. At first it was one girl. Then several. Asking him all sorts of questions, about his really dark brown hair, complimenting his pale blue eyes, and picking up on his natural pale skin complexion. Many of the guys there glowered at Chase as he wandered down the corridor in search of the registration office. He never thought he was good looking. Not at all. Yeah he had several girlfriends in his other schools. But they never lasted long. Either he moved, they dumped him or were after one thing.

Finally girls had stopped harassing him with phone numbers and "call me's", Chase practically fell into and open locker door.

"Hey watch out" a gruff voice came from behind it, followed by a thin muscular boy rubbing the top of his head roughly.

"Oh I'm sorry" Chase spoke hurriedly.

The boy stood up tall and looked Chase up and down as though to take in his height of six foot and his skinny build. After a thorough inspection of Chase, the boy stopped staring and reached into his locker, pulling some books out, and offering his hand out to Chase. Chase took his hand. The other male's hand was warm and strong.

"I'm Drake" He smiled.

"Chase" Chase replied.

Drake turned to walk away.

Chase almost slapped his forehead as he remembered he was lost.

"Oh umm Drake? I was uh wondering if you could uh..."

"Reception is this way" Drake pointed.

"Uhh how did you..."Chase began but was soon cut off.

"Obvious. Never seen you around before. And you look a little hazed...I'm guessing - Girls" Drake finished.

Chase nodded in acknowledgment. He jogged to catch up to Drake.

"Like the hair" He complimented

"Thanks" Chase replied a little bemused.

"Based on Andy Sixx's old hair style right?" He asked

Chase stopped a little shocked at Drake. A guy looking like him, grey sweats, sports jacket, chunky trainers and a short hair cut with lines etched into the sides in a tribal design, knowing of Andy Sixx? Drake stopped a little way away from Chase.

"What?"

"You've heard Andy Sixx?"

"I've heard of him...difference" Drake responded embarrassed.

Chase walked on laughing. Not too soon after Drake joined in.

After that, the day went pretty smoothly. A few close encounters with his newly made fan club, but thankfully all of them left him alone.

Drake spent the morning showing Chase around. 'Well...' Chase thought, 'at least I've made one friend'.

Dinner rolled in slowly. Drake escorted Chase to the cafeteria, and got him seated with a bunch of other guys that were 'acquaintances' of Drake. Several of them Chase had seen that morning, giving him a cold reception. He ignored the acid looks that he was getting at that moment. All of the guys turned their heads towards Drake who started rambling on about the night before. Chase tore his head away from a discussion on last night's game.

Then he saw her.

Her beauty shone through the crowd like a torch through darkness. Her deep red hair glistened in the high peak of the Sun. A tall, slim build with a pale tan skin. And she was surrounded by guys. 'No doubt, she's gorgeous' Chase thought on.

"Who you looking at?" one of drake's friends, Carl, broke through Chase's thoughts.

"No-one" his head snapped down to his dinner of fries and salad.

"The girl, surrounded by, what seems to be half the population of guys at her sides? which you'll be glad to know are her brothers" Carl gave a toothy grin.

Chase's mind gave a mental sigh of relief that confused him. He didn't even know the girl but his mind was reeling after seeing her. Like his sub-conscious had fallen for her already.

"Maybe" he spoke teasingly giving a little grin of his own.

"Yeah well don't bother" Carl sat back in his chair, grin gone.

"Why not?" Chase asked, his own grin left, no trace of there ever being one placed upon his face.

"Because that, my friend" He started.

"Is Evelyn Redfern"