Disappearing Hearts -Chapter 5 ~Joker's Heart~

Chapter 5 ~Joker's Heart~

"Chase" Evelyn gasped.

Chase's mind was in a state of shock. It was still trying to grasp the fact that Evelyn had been able to fight off and kill and towering creature that could have ripped her apart. After about ten minutes of staring and reeling at his previous thought. 'Vampire'. The pale face that looked up at him now searching his face. All of Chase's nerves were shocked into paralysis. Then a heavy weight fell from his spine. He shook his head, turned his back to Evelyn and walked out of the alleyway.

Fresh untainted air blew through his hair and clothes. Evelyn wasn't far behind him. She moved swiftly from her crouching beside the creature, to pursuing Chase.

He turned around to see Evelyn following him.

"CAIN!! GRAY!!" she shouted to the open air.

To flashes appeared in front of her. Chase stepped backwards. He saw Evelyn point a thumb behind her.

"Get this piece of fucked up, decaying shit cleaned up"

The other two vampires stalked off down the back street. Chase turned on his heel and continued to walk home. He saw someone up ahead; when he got closer he recognised the face. Evelyn. He backed away from the street light that she leant upon.

"Chase? Chase please" She spoke after him.

He just carried on regardless now back straight on the side walk. The clouds up above had slowly begun to open. Rain slowly and silently pattered down on to the broken street. Chase put his head down against the oncoming rain. When he looked up towards a splintered doorway, Evelyn was there waiting. He walked straight past here, pulling his collar up around his throat, either out of paranoia or against the chill, he himself didn't know.

"Chase please stop...CHASE! Please talk to me" Evelyn pleaded.

The rain was coming down heavier now. Evelyn continued to walk a few feet behind Chase. His head full of confusion, and wonder. He was in love with a vampire. A myth. A made up being. Chase rounded the corner before his house. Evelyn was at the corner waiting. She blocked his path. Her deep red hair was plastered to her head. Her ice white skin looked translucent; Chase swore he could make out veins, a deep shade of blue standing out in her throat. He just crossed the road longing to get away from her. Against what his head, and his heart, told him.

Chase's deep brown hair now flattened to his face with moisture. He was completely soaked. The rain had picked up, the dark clouds had opened up fully and let this part of a shattered world have what this broken city had coming. Chase jogged up the last remaining steps on the front porch under the pleasant shelter of the old timber frame, that was built on to the front of the house.

"Chase....please" Evelyn was at the foot of the steps. Her rain drenched coat hung limply from her slender frame. Chase slotted his key into the front door, he turned slowly.

"Nothing to talk about" He hissed.

Chase pushed the door open and hauled himself in. As he was closing the door, Evelyn placed a translucent hand on the keeping it propped open.

"You're acting very girlish about this, you know that...don't you?" she smiled.

Chase look at her with glazed eyes.

"Talk to me" she pleaded.

Chase sighed loudly and held the door open.

"Fine" he said stepping out of the doorway.

"Let's talk"

Evelyn looked at him intently. Chase couldn't even look at her.

"You're a vampire" He started.

"Yup" Evelyn smiled back.

A smile that was sure to melt him down to his foundations if he weren't already pissed.

"You kill"

"Yes" Her smile dropped.

His mind had been made up. He just couldn't.

"Goodbye Evelyn Redfern" He raised his eyebrows and headed for the door.

Evelyn reached out for his arm. She gripped it but not tight enough to hurt him. Just enough to stop him.

"Chase whatever you've heard. In stories, trust me, they're not true. Yes I'm a vampire. Yes I kill. And have killed, and will probably kill in the future. But never a human. I would never kill a human" she said reassuringly. Then she let go.

Chase reached the front door. Heaved it open once again, and turned and watched as Evelyn began to walk down the steps and into the night. Chase sighed.

"Evelyn!?" He shouted blindly.

Evelyn reappeared at the foot of the steps.

"Get your ass in here" Chase demanded.

"Vampire or no vampire...I'm not letting you roam around in the rain"

Evelyn shot him another award winning smile. She skipped up the steps across the porch and into the wide open space of the Brewer household. Chase shut the door locked it and tugged his jacket off. Once he'd placed it on a coat hook he turned to Evelyn. She stared at him with a 'what?' expression on her face. Chase motioned for her to turn around. She did and Chase stripped the faux leather, long coat from Evelyn's shoulders. Underneath was a dark purple off the shoulder shirt that came to just above her knees. Then were a pair of black skinny jeans and on her feet were her purple converse.

"Where are your parents?"

"Out to dinner...why?" Chase was feeling a little suspicious.

"No reason" Evelyn retorted.

"Are you intimidated by just being you and me?"

"What?!" Evelyn was taken aback.

"Well are you?" Chase's face was calm and passive.

"No" she sighed and turned her head away, before chase could ask anything else.

Chase tore his eyes away from Evelyn and hung her coat next to his own. He walked in front of Evelyn pulled on her hand and pulled towards the living room. He sat her down on one of the two deep chocolate fabric couches that Mrs Brewer had placed beside a open wood burning fire. Chase released Evelyn's hand, as she sank on to the couch, and he walked over to the fire. Chase knelt before the black metal square, picked up some old papers, and began tearing them up and throwing them in the fire place. Considering he was drenched and cold, his hands were steady, especially after finding out the truth about Evelyn.

He picked up a packet of matches that rested next to the old obits, lit one and threw it amongst the papers and wood. It didn't take long for the fire to catch. Chase began to feel the warmth spread beneath his rain laden shirt and jeans. He stared at the fire for a moment, trying, and failing, to get his thoughts into some kind of order.

Then Chase stood and eased himself on the opposite couch.

"What was that thing?" was the first question to stumble out of his mouth. Obviously not the one Evelyn was expecting, from the look on her bright red and white face.

"What was what thing?" She threw back looking slightly agitated.

"That thing you killed tonight" Chase slowly informed her. In his mind he recalled every detail from the rotting flesh to the stench of death.

"That..." Evelyn started.

"Was something that needed killing, and has been. No need to worry" Evelyn shrugged, sitting back into the couch.

Chase rested his elbows on his knees.

"Evelyn...if we're going to have any kind of relationship...you need to start telling me the truth" he looked on at her with pure, pale blue eyes. A little shocked with what had just escaped his lips.

He watched as Evelyn looked at him worried, then sat forward and almost mirrored Chase's stance.

"Fine..." She sighed, looking defeated.

"I'll explain"

And she did. She explained about the demon in the alley. About what was really out there in the shadows. How to stay safe. How she became a Vampire. And how to become one.