[Chapter 56]

Chapter 56

December 12, 2009

The mirror shines back at me as I attempt to smile. Mid ways into the smile it falls and I can feel the tears trying to fall from the corner of my eyes. I close my eyes and sigh, I thought today was going to be easy.

I open my eyes once again and look at myself in the mirror. I'm sitting at the mirror connected to my dresser trying to get ready. It's the day I say goodbye to one of my best friend's, Alex. His funeral is today and burial is today.

I look down at the black heels on my feet and chuckle which causes the tears to fall even harder. Alex always wanted to see me in heels. I hated them because I didn't have the best balance in the world but today I was going to suck it up. Today was all about remembering Alex and what a great friend he was. I could deal with the heels for one day.

I grabbed the pearl necklace with black stings at the end and brought it around my head. I did my best on tying it around my neck, maybe this necklace wasn't the best choice. I sighed, oh well, it matched my pearl bracelet.

I looked in the mirror at myself. I was wearing a strapless black dress with white designs at the bottom. A black sweater that stopped just at my waist to cover up my cleavage that I didn't want showing, a pair of black heels on my feet, a pair of black and silver heart shaped earrings, and a black and white pearl bracelet around my wrist.

I sniffed my nose since I had been crying so much this morning. The church services were at noon and I was somewhat in a hurry. I could hear mom and Robert in their bedroom getting ready. Mom had to fix her hair and do her makeup so if we were late I'm blaming her.

I heard the bedroom door from their bedroom open. I heard the footsteps walk past my bedroom down the stairs. I stood to my feet and looked around the room for my purse that held my phone and other things. My eyes looked around and found a picture sitting on my desk. I hadn't looked at it much lately. I walked toward the picture and picked it up. My fingers were on the glass touching over the person smiling back at me.

I remember this day, my birthday last year, Kimi, me in the middle, and Alex on my other side. We were all laughing and smiling. I remember that day perfectly now, I remember the bracelet that sat on my wrist was a gift from Alex. I sniffed as closed my eyes as they began to fill with tears. I had been crying all morning ever since I woke and looked at the calendar.

The door down the hall opened again and I sighed. Maybe that was mom now. The footsteps came down the hall and stopped at my door. A hesitant knock sounded from the other side of the door.

“Come in,” I said barely loud enough for whomever to hear.

The door came opened and just like I thought it was my mother. She was dressed in a full black expensive dress suit. It had the short sleeve top and the skirt part stopped at her knees. She looked beautiful; she really did try to look her best for me today. She wore her hair down with makeup on her face, her expensive diamond earrings, and a silver chain necklace hung from her neck with a blue stud in the center, and not to mention the black and silver ring Robert bought her a while back.

“Honey, are you ready to go or do you need a few more minutes?”

I shook my head and willed the tears away, “No, I'm fine now. We should go before we are too late.”

She nodded but I could tell she wasn't convinced. She sighed and closed the bedroom door walking toward me. She laid her clutch down on the desk and she came right up to me.

“Honey, it's alright. You don't have to put on a brave face in front of me. I know that Alex was important to you; crying doesn't show weakness it shows love. Baby, he was your friend and he died because of some crazy man that was in our lives. Crying shows you remember him and that he was loved and he won't be forgotten.”