Chapter 1

"Charlie? Can you help me with the merch table?"

I looked up at my friend and road buddy, Sydney, and nodded.

"Yeah I just gotta get the boys up. I'll be back in a second."

She nodded and walked over to another friend, Kacee who was meeting with the venue owner about different security measures.

My name is Charlie. We work and tour with a band called Black As Night. We met several years ago before the band really became well known. The lead singer, Chris Carson, or CC As we all call him, the two guitarists, Neil and Maddox, and the drummer, Travis, are the members of this screamo, punk band. It's not the kind of music that they scream through the whole songs and you can't understand anything. And their songs actually have some meaning. About life struggles and keeping your head above the water. Travis was who we met first, at a show in a hole in the wall bar. We all clicked instantly. He took us to meet his friends, who quickly started a band not long after. We've stuck by them since the beginning. Going to every show, no matter where. Then when they became more and more popular, we started going on tour with them, helping to get their name out there more.

Five years later I'm stepping on to their stellar tour bus at one of the biggest shows in their career.

"Alright fellas! Time to wake up! We're setting up and you guys need to do a sound check."

Pillows were soon thrown at me with grumbles coming from the bunks.

"Hey assholes." I laughed out. "You wanted to do this. So no complaining. Now get your lazy asses up. I want food before the show."

CC rolled out of his bunk first, in nothing but his boxers, showing off his tan, tattoo covered skin and toned body. He ran his hands through his long bed tousled hair and looked up at me, catching me staring. He revealed a mischievous smirk. Shaking my head, I pulled back the curtains on the other bunks, enabling a slew of curse words from the other members, before turning around and heading back to Syd to help with merch.

Ace is part of their security. Despite her highly rebellious streak, she made an excellent cop. Until the guys wanted us to come on tour with them, and she couldn't leave the protective duty behind. Syd helps with merch and running the social media, along with flirting her ass off with the other bands we come in contact with. She's was better at getting other bands to ask BAN to sing with them than their manager.

I know what you're probably thinking. Oh three girls on tour with four guys? They've all gotta be sleeping together or something. Well, you'd be half right. Travis and Syd are in a committed relationship, and have been for two years. Ace and Maddox are a newfound thing, but as long as we've known each other, we've all been waiting for it to happen. Me on the other hand? I just enjoy everyone's company. I have had a thing for CC since we met, but I've never pursued anything. Their career is important. And I love working with them and living on the road. CC hasn't shown much more interest than making me just another notch on his belt, so I've found it best to just leave it alone.

"This looks great, Syd. How's Ace coming along?"

Sydney pulled her long fiery red and teal hair out of her ponytail and shrugged. "She's been talking to the guy half the morning. Surely she's got it figured out by now."

Syd and I put out the last of the merchandise and met with the teenagers who were going to be running it. Once we finished up, I heard the sound of drums and we rushed off to listen to them practice. We plopped down beside Mike the sound guy and listened for the next hour to our friends doing soundcheck. Ace joined us while we waited for them to move everything back out for the openers and we discussed what to do for dinner.

"Dude I just want some good ass pizza." CC fell down onto my lap, causing me to groan out.

"God CC. I think you need to lay off the pizza. You're heavy as fuck."

He whipped around with an appalled look on his face. Then he smirked. "Oh please Chuck. I saw you checking me out this morning." He lifted his shirt. "You know you loveeeeeee my sexy body."

We all died laughing as I pushed him off me and stood up.

"Fine I'll go order pizza, you dummy. I'll be right back!"

I walked into the lounge area to grab my phone. I heard the door shut behind me and whirled around to find CC walking over and sprawling out on the couch.

"Can I help you sir?"

"I just wanted to make sure you ordered the right stuff." He sat up and put his feet on the ground, patting the seat beside him and leaning back. I sat down and dialed the number for the closest pizza joint. Placing an order for about 10 pizzas. Not only do we have to feed guys who could eat a horse the length of a football field, but we also feed the people behind the scenes who make this all go smoothly.

I leaned back, laying my head back on his extended arm. "You excited for tonight?"

He sighed contently. "I am actually. Today marks five years we started Black As Night. Crazy to think how far we've come." I nodded and remained silent. "We wouldn't have been able to do it without you, Ace, and Syd."

"Somehow I don't believe that. You guys have all the talent."

He turned to me, his left arm still behind my head. "I mean it, Chuck. You guys have been there for us since the very beginning. You're our real people. Not those fakes who just want the fame and attention."

He gently grasped my hand, playing with my fingers.

"Are you okay?"

He looked up, leaning closer, his eyes flitting between my eyes and lips.

"CC. Are you drunk?"

He pulled back a little, confusion in his eyes. "No. Why would you think that?"

"You only try to kiss me when you're drunk and I've told you. It's not gonna happen. I'm not a groupie and I'm not a 'hit it and quit it' type of person."

"Good. Cause I don't want you to be." He licked his lips. "I want to be with you, Charleston. I've wanted you since the beginning. But I was scared I'd run you off. And I couldn't lose you, so I just suppressed my feelings. But I can't any longer. You've stuck around this long, I have to hope you won't leave us."

He started leaning back in again. This time I didn't stop him. But before our lips met, my phone rang, and I released a breath I didn't know I was holding.

"Yeah? Okay Syd I'll be right there."

I stood up, but CC wouldn't let go of my hand.

"Syd needs help with something. I've gotta go. The pizza should be here within the hour."

"Charlie." His tone was sharp. I just looked at him. "Charlie?" This time his voice cracked, full of fear and sadness.

"I'm sorry Chris. I'll see you in a bit." I pulled my hand from his grasp and walked out.