Chapter 10: Visiting Hours

Start from the beginning

"Shut up, okay. Just waiting... Sometimes being picky is challenging in this situation." I laughed. I saw it as no big deal. So what if I hadn't kissed someone yet, it's not like my life depends on it.

"Have you tried going to his house? Try that..." Jade suggests.

"Why?" I question her.

"Because you were on the period mood and you have to show him you are back to your normal self, what else?" She states like its the most obvious thing in the world. I think and decide to do it. It can't hurt. I'll be the bigger person than before.

"Fine, but come with me? Please?" I plead. I hear her throw on her coat and slip on some shoes and open the door. Wow, I didn't even have to argue.

"Be there in like twenty..." She says and ends the call. Twenty minutes, just for around the block? That isn't possible, we don't even live on a busy street. She could probably walk here and arrive at the door in less than five minutes. Maybe she has to get cof-

RING!

"Come in!" I shout and the door knob twists and the door pushes open, brushing across the wooden floor.

"Okay, I am here." I turn around and see Jade, standing there, flinging her hair over her shoulder.

"You said twenty." I say at her appearance. I look from her car and back at her to where she stands.

"Yeah, twenty, as in twenty seconds." She says with a 'duh' at the end and walks over to me, holding out her manicured hand. I take it and pull myself up. I walk over and put my coat on and grab my phone and keys. I motion for her to come and we walk out the door, with me locking it behind us. She unlocks her blue/gray Mercedes and starts the car, with me hopping in.

"Its a sign." Jade whispers.

"What?" I question, jumping out of a dream-like stare.

"The song... listen..."

"They don't know how special you are,

They don't know what you've done to my heart-"

I switch the station and then turn the radio off. I don't feel like listening to One Direction right now. We pull up and park across the street and Jade turns off the engine. I unbuckle and open the door, stepping out into the cool weather. The wind whips my hair back and forth and I stand there, next to the passenger side door, staring at the Rivers's front door. Each step I take, I take carefully, thinking this through.

Do I really want to do this?

What will it bring? Well, with Luke, nothing good. 

I turn around and face Jade, inside the heated car, and give her a face asking if this is a good idea. She flicks her wrist onward, telling me to turn around and go. Why do I need to do this, I didn't do anything wrong. I was perfectly able to say what I did. It's freedom of speech. He brought up unnecessary things that just got me mad. If he didn't buy me the dress and start flirting with me, we wouldn't have a damn problem.

I turn back around, and start walking towards the door. It was to late to turn back when I reached the door and was in range of the camera's. I should've just let him be and let him cool off. He walked out on me. I ring the door bell and knock on the polished brown wood. Okay, maybe this wasn't a very good idea, he was sure to have a grudge on me. This was stupid. The door knob turns and the door swings open, showing Luke with his hair wet and a pencil and his sketchbook in one hand. His bright blue eyes were shining from the glow of the sun and his face was relaxed. His hands were now un-clenched but the jaw was still clenched.

"What, Claire? Here to reject me again? To blow off again?" He shoots, looking me in the eye, close to yelling. I flinch at the venom in his voice and frown.

"Actually I came to apologize." I say softly, looking down at the ground at the end.

"Save it. Correct me if I am wrong but, apparently I have girls falling at my feet and I can find someone else." He mocks. I nod, and push my hair behind my ear and my vision starts to blur.

"What are you drawing?" I ask and point to his book, trying to make conversation, to get out of the awkward state that we are in.

"Since when do you care about what I do?" He objects.

"Your right. When do I care? When do I care about anything?" I whisper and look into his eyes once more and let a tear roll down my cheek. I turn on my heel and start to take a step. Once I put my foot down, Luke grabs my hand, but I yank it back to my side, "When do I care?" I restate. I start to walk away, back down the steps and towards the car.

"Claire wait!" Luke shouts, some pleading mixed in with his words. I run back to the car and open the door, Jade quickly shoving the key in and starting the engine. Another tear runs down, then another, then another. I look up to meet his eyes once again and he frowns and looks down, stepping back and closing the door. We drive off of his street and turn into my driveway. We sit there for a few seconds listening to the radio.  

...Now I'm done with all your negativity,

And I'm gonna let it wash all over me,

I'll be stronger then your words, baby, I'm harder,

My smile lights up the world, I'm flying higher...

Jade tuns off the engine and we step out of the car. I whip my face and smile at her, hiding all emotions. We link arms around each other's shoulders and walk towards my house.