Asleep During Class - Part 1

Authors Note:
The characters here are named Nico and Angel; the same as the two main characters in "Cant Help Falling In Love". They are not the same characters. (I just have a difficult time thinking about names, so I will be using the names Nico and Angel often.)

This story was inspired by "Perfectly Perfect" by Simple Plan

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~Flashback (Angel’s POV)~

“Class, read chapters 21-25 on your own. You will have a quiz on the reading tomorrow. Anything you don’t finish will be homework,” my english teacher assigned us more homework.

"Great. Another assignment that I have to worry about. More stress. What else do I have to do today? There’s the history essay that I need to proofread, my Chinese script I need to memorize, the math packet is due, and the biology exam is tomorrow. I also need to practice a bit before going to piano lessons today, and finish writing off the last few chapters of my short story for my friends to read. I need to sleep tonight though; I pulled off another all-nighter last night. But I need to finish my sch-” my thoughts raced as my eyes grew heavy. I glanced up at the clock, “I should quickly rest…”

"35 more minutes until the end of class. Maybe a five minute nap won’t hurt… But what if I oversle-" Darkness engulfed my vision as my eyes closed, and I fell asleep.

~Nico’s POV~

I was beginning chapter 22 when I feel pressure on my left shoulder and arm. Shocked, I jump a little and shifted my gaze from my book to Angel, my table partner. Her head lay on my shoulder, her eyes closed.

"Another all-nighter I’m assuming. She overworks herself. She already exceeds her parent’s expectations. She’s the only one pushing herself at this point. We are only freshmen in highschool. I shifted a bit so that the back of Angel’s head was leaning against the inside of my shoulder. (The area above the armpit) I pulled her chair closer to mine as quietly as I could so she would be a bit more comfortable. If I worked half as hard as she does, my parents would be proud. Ah- Which reminds me, I should finish reading these chapters."

~35 minutes later (Still Nico’s POV)~

"Class is going to end soon. How should I wake her up? I never thought I’d be in this situation…" I poked her arm. I nudged her slighter harder. Still not waking up… All of my attempts failed, until I’ve tried waking her up… She’s not waking up… How should I- Her cheeks seem so pokeable. I don’t even know if that’s a word, but it’s worth a try.

I poked her cheek. No response. I poked it a few times while whispering her name.

After four pokes to the cheek, she inhaled sharply and her eyes began to open. She looked around dazed. "S-She’s kinda.. cute." The first few seconds, she was still absorbing her surroundings. Then her eyes shifted to the clock. Her eyes widened. She inhaled as she was going to scream, but I signaled her to be quiet before she could say anything.

At that moment, the bell rang signalling the time for a snack break. We both packed up our belongings. I was about to leave a bit sad that I didn’t receive a “thank you” or anything, until I felt what I assumed was a hand on my wrist.

“I-Um,” she let go of my wrist, “Thank you for, um, letting me rest on your, um, arm,” Angel stuttered.

“Anytime,” I replied refraining from smiling too wide.

“Um, one question. Why- Why did you not wake me up?” she asked, avoiding eye contact.

“Because I- Because you looked so peaceful. And you seemed tired and stressed, I sort of assumed you didn’t sleep or something. You know, sleep is important. I think that’s why I didn’t wake you up,” I spilled my exact thoughts. "Wait- Was what I said rude? You just don’t point out that someone looks stressed. Well at least someone you barely talk to… AHHH I SCREWED UP. NO, My first impression. Goodbye future friendship."

“Oh,” she laughed a small melodic laugh, “It’s that obvious, isn’t it?”

“Yes- No- I mean- You, um, You just seemed like you wanted to sleep so- Not that your face shows any signs of tiredness- Your face is really nice- Wait- What I’m trying to say is- Um, sorry. I’m not sure what I’m saying anymore,” I said, the heat rising to my face as I stared at a random stain on my shoes.

She laughed again. Her laugh is so cute. “Thanks for letting me sleep on your arm. It must have been a bit awkward. Sorry.”

“Ah- No, It’s fine. Really. Um, If you need another nap, feel free to use my arm again,” I blurted out.

Then her friends passed by and noticed. They walked up to her side and looked at me. They smiled at each other and began nudging Angel. Her face became red and tried signalling her friends to stop.

Knowing her friends might not stop anytime soon I said, “Ah. I should get going now. I still need to quickly cram for a quiz. I’ll see you tomorrow?”

We made eye contact and with a grateful smile, she said, “Yeah! Tomorrow. Um, see you then.” She waved a timid wave.

I turned around and headed to my next class.

~Flashback over~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Authors Note:
If someone laid their head on me, it would not end up like this scenario. I'd probably flinch, then freak out which would cause the person to hit their head on something, thus waking them up...

Please vote and comment.
Both are highly appreciated.
I love reading comments!

Stay tuned for part 2!!

~Xinxiny