Opening the card, Jason found himself thanking the gods that it was written in Latin, a language he could actually read. It took him a while for the instructions to fully seep in. When they did, Jason wanted to crumple the sheet of paper into a ball, tossing it in an incinerator or sending it through a paper shredder.

Electricity sparked between his fingers, and he clenched his hands into fists, not wanting for an electrical fire to break out. Oh, the irony. A fire in Poseidon's palace? The sea god would never hear the end of it, especially from Athena.

He heard a groan next to him, causing for his head to whip to the side, assessing the situation. Jason fought to suppress a smile.

Nico, who had practically become his little brother, was clinging tightly to Percy, who had been his best friend after Leo. Although the scene was absolutely precious, Jason winced whenever Nico buried his head or bumped a body part against the thick bandages around Percy's torso. He could only imagine the damage his cousin had sustained, and being constantly prodded couldn't have felt pleasant.

Jason felt a scowl form on his face, his gaze dropping to the note in his hand again. He could see how easily Nico had gotten mad at his father for asking him to murder an innocent woman. Now it was his turn for the same request. Except, instead of it being Percy's mom he had to kill, Zeus and Hades were asking for Jason to murder Percy.

He found the request absolutely absurd.

What had Percy done to warrant this, this note of assassination?

Jason knew that Percy wasn't a traitor, his fatal flaw was personal loyalty for gods' sakes, but there must've been some kind of ulterior motive. If the gods wanted Percy dead, they would've done so the moment they found out about him.

The grip on his anger must've loosened, because a zap of lightning struck the paper, turning it into black ash. There went the only proof Jason had of proving his innocence should something happen to Percy.

His gaze faced his sleeping cousins again. They had both suffered through so much, and it pained him to see both of them walk the thin line of insanity before. He remembered the screams of terror and anguish aboard the Argo II once they had rescued Percy and Annabeth from Tartarus, and every single night, he felt his resolve crack. He was raised to be a leader, he was supposed to keep those under his command safe. But, every time he heard a scream from their nightmares, it reminded him of how he had failed. He had failed to save his friends, who were standing on a disintegrating floor for Hades' sake!

Jason ground his teeth in frustration. There was no point in what-ifs and what could've been, it had passed already. There was nothing he could've done differently, and that was what hurt him the most.

Piper would always get on his case, telling him to forgive himself, but he found it harder to do so when everyone he was supposed to be protecting went and got themselves hurt.

Leo had died to defeat Gaea. Annabeth and Will were killed to reclaim Delphi. Nico, Percy, and Annabeth had fallen into Tartarus. So many times his friends were hurt, and every time, he blamed himself for it.

Deciding that enough was enough, Jason shoved his feet into his sneakers and threw on his black windbreaker. He was not going to intentionally cause harm to those he cared for. And if his father wanted Percy dead, well, Zeus would have to find another assassin.

Jason collected the ashes off the bed, blowing them into the garbage can before storming out of the infirmary.

Now, how did one get back to the mortal world?

0o0o

Nico had woken up before Percy, and by the time the sleeping son of Poseidon awoke, he had already eaten breakfast and taken a shower in one of the guest rooms.