Chapter Nine: Transitivity of Friendship

Rhiannon knew friendship didn’t have transitive properties. Knew she couldn’t expect her childhood friends to immediately adore her new ones. But she hadn’t expected the Hive’s first dinner together to be so awkward.

The air carried essence of roast lamb, delivered to the ship by a spaceport restaurant. The scent was familiar, but cut through with a sharp acidity. Luciano’s tomato-based, Italian-style meal fought for airspace with the savory Dyfed-style the rest had ordered.

Sure, she’d expected Gwyn, Victor, and Gavin to all sit together, even if she’d wished Gwyn might sit with her. Sure, she’d expected everyone to have different tastes and interests. But she’d also expected them to make an effort.

So far, that hadn’t happened.

She inhaled deeply, demonstrating her waning patience to anyone who cared to notice. And that ought to have been everyone. What with her being their Queen and Commander and all.

Bunched together at the metal table’s end, the three already-friends shared bread for dunking in their mint sauce. The cavernous room could fit more than a mere six crewmen, but those three seemed determined to squeeze into a tiny space. To ignore everything outside their corner.

Their steadfast avoidance didn’t keep her other two Devoted from noticing them. Alan shifted as close to Rhiannon as possible, sensing that the bubble of solidarity excluded him. She hoped that this wasn’t going to be Rhiannon’s Hive versus Victor’s Friends. She should never have let him bring Gavin. Yes, Gavin had been the impetus, but his presence skewed the balance.

Luciano had yet to taste his steaming tomato-whatever. His eyes were riveted on Gwyn. When Rhiannon had made introductions, Luciano had whispered, “Number Six?” He hadn’t said anything since. His mouth formed a small trapezoid, pulling his face out of alignment and making it into an unhappy caricature.

Rhiannon took a bite of her lamb, sucking out its juices. Was getting along too much to ask? She didn’t demand that they eat the same food or have the same interests. She simply wanted them to speak with one another. With Alan overwhelmed and Luciano on mute, the overture would have to come from the Hive-within-a-Hive.

Catching Gavin’s eye, she gave him her best glare, lowering her inner brows and narrowing the corners of her eyes until she felt mean. He jumped in his seat. He put a protective hand over his Tribute packet on the table. He looked behind him to see if she could be glaring at someone else. No, really. There’s no one there, Gav.

His shoulders hunched so far forward that his tunic and vest rumpled. He put down the bread on its way to his mouth and played with the frayed ends of his belt. “So, ah, I did this efficiency thing with the oxygen tanks today. It ought to improve their airflow.”

Finally! Someone was talking! She flashed Gavin a wide, grateful smile. He preened under her regard, shoulders straightening. His permanent semi-smile filled out into the real thing. He brought a hand up to duck behind it in blushing pleasure.

Alan gulped loudly, taking down a too-large mouthful without chewing it. “I’d like to see the designs for that, if you don’t mind.”

The conversation might have gone all right if it hadn’t been for the if you don’t mind tacked on the end. Gavin’s expression went from pleased accomplishment to defensive in a half-second.

“You don’t trust my work?” His voice was slow and dangerous. “You think you could do better?”

The conversation might have gone all right if it hadn’t been for the you think you could do better? Alan could have apologized at that point. He could’ve made noises about how the words came out wrong and how all he wanted was to bond with a Hive mate, maybe learn something. But Rhiannon knew as soon as she heard you think you can do better? that the situation was beyond salvaging.