19; Respects and Rewards

Harrison, Carrie, and Billie were flown to Washington D.C. along with their families. They were going to meet President Obama and receive the Medal of Honor. "Why are we going to meet the president?" Billie asked as they departed their flight which had just landed in the District of Colombia.

"Daddy and I are getting medals," Carrie answered.

"You're getting medals?"

"Yeah, for our service."

It wasn't long before they were taken to the White House. In one of the bathrooms just before the ceremony was scheduled to begin, they changed into their Army Blue service uniforms. Harrison wore an Army Blue jacket with black pants as Carrie wore the same thing but with a skirt. They both had four gold stripes on their forearms for their four tours overseas. On their left upper arm was their insignia for Sergeant Major, a position they both held before their last mission to Afghanistan. It consisted of three chevrons above a small star. Below the star were three half circles to wrap up the logo. On the left side of their chests was the Navy SEAL pin. It consisted of an eagle perched on the famous SEAL trident. Below the pin were the patches of all the missions and tours they'd been on. And below that was a small pin with eagle wings sticking out.

After changing into their dress uniforms, they were led into the East Room where the ceremony would take place. Carrie swore her daughters eyes grew wide at the sight of President Obama making his way down the hallway towards them. He smiled. "Hello there."

Billie could barely say hello back. "B, that's Mr. President."

President Obama held his hand out for her to shake. She did and when she looked up, she saw both her parents saluting the president. He saluted them back. "Thank you for your service Harrison and Carrie. And I must ask, is this Billie."

"Yes sir."

"She's beautiful."

"Thank you sir."

He knelt down in front of Billie. "Remember your mom and dad love you. I know they were away for a while, but they were serving our wonderful country. A debt that you or I can never repay."

Billie nodded. Carrie's mom came out from the East Room and led Billie inside to where she would sit for the ceremony. Harrison and Carrie waited outside for a few more minutes before they were led inside by the president.

Music began to play as they were led inside. President Obama walked in between Harrison and Carrie up to the small stage where the ceremony would take place. Everyone continued to applaud them until the president held up his hand to quiet the crowd. The two of them stood to the far right of the stage in front of the American flag. President Obama stood beside the podium where one of the chief Navy officers read a prayer.

Once he was finished, President Obama took the podium. "There are over 300 million people living in the United States of America. Only about 1% are in the United States military. An even lesser percent are United States Navy SEAL's. Harrison and Carrie, you both are part of that elite task force. The task force that carries out secret missions and operations that are so secretive, they go unknown to the American public."

"The Medal of Honor is our nation's highest military decoration. That makes this ceremony so unique. The American people have to opportunity to see a special type of warrior that often works in the shadows."

"Harrison and Carrie, you both have lived up to the name of secret warrior. As United States Navy SEAL's for over 8 years, you have shown strength and determination in fighting for your country. You stand here beside your fallen comrade Matthew Baker as the definition of a true SEAL. You both put your lives at risk so your fellow troops could escape Pakistan. Without your acts of courage to save your fellow American soldiers, many, many lives would've been lost on that night we took down the man behind to terrorist attacks on American soil. Thank you both for what you've done for this wonderful country."

The president stepped away from the podium, making room for the two Navy officers who each held a Medal of Honor. They waited a few moments while their military careers were summarized before President Obama awarded them with the highest military decoration. He did Carrie first, slipping the Medal of Honor around her neck and pinning it in the back. Harrison was next. After he was given his medal, everyone began to clap. The president then said a few closing remarks as Harrison and Carrie moved to the other side of the stage so Matt's Medal of Honor ceremony could begin.

✎✎✎

The next day, the three of them flew back to Beverly Hills for Matt's funeral. Harrison and Carrie both wore their dress uniforms once again while Billie wore a black dress. The two of them had been to plenty of military funerals in their 8 years of service. This one was different. Matt was more than just a comrade in their battalion. He was a great friend.

Harrison stood next to Carrie while Billie stood in front of the two of them. As Matt's wife Karen and daughter Rachel gave their remarks, he flipped his Navy SEAL pin around in his hand. Then it was his turn to speak on both his and Carrie's behalf. She gave him a light pat on the back as he made his way over to his best friend's casket.

He had to look at Carrie the entire time for encouragement. Every few seconds he would look up from the small sheet of paper and get a nod of reassurance from his wife. He stuttered a few times before finally getting everything out. As he rejoined Carrie and Billie, Matt's family began to pay their respects.

After his family went the SEAL's. Someone began to play a trumpet as the military members paid their respects. Carrie went before him and pounded her trident into his casket. Then Harrison slowly made his way over to his best friends casket. He knelt beside the casket for a few seconds. He gathered himself and pounded his SEAL trident into the casket with a loud thud. Karen then brought over a United States flag and together they draped it over Matt's casket.

I have some great news for you guys! First, I finished the book, and second, I ended it so it could be picked up by a possible sequel. Would you guys want me to do a sequel to this book? Also, and third, I have a surprise for y'all. You guys know the project I mentioned earlier this week?

Oh and this isn't the end of the book. There's two more chapters left.