Chapter 26

Edward felt guilty over the fact that a part of him experienced some relief over his uncle's death. As he stared down at the last link to his father, he wondered if he had tried hard enough to save him. Blood continued to make a path across the sand and run toward the lake as if it too was running from this man.

Because he was immersed in guilt, Edward barely notice the conversation between Bridget and Big Ben. But her arduous tone pulled him out of the dark place he had fallen. He went on the defense and his protective nature took over.

"What did he tell you, Bridget? Are we in danger?" Edward asked as he stood and helped Elizabeth to her feet.

"He said that he was expendable and that the shooter was hired by someone named Morris as punishment for his failure. His own people killed him. He also gave me a warning. They will not give up until they have us because we are too important to their plan."

"Okay, my guys are ready to get you to the train station. I'll get your new IDs out of the car and the tickets." Big Ben said calmly as if Bridget didn't just hand them devastating news.

Elizabeth let out a snicker that grew into a laugh. Before long the whole group was crying from side splitting laughter. Edward didn't get why they were laughing, but he knew he would do whatever it took to keep Elizabeth laughing and happy. Her laughter was the most beautiful music he had ever heard.

Edward had his hands full with this fiery witch, but he wouldn't change a thing about her. He couldn't wait to see what kind of trouble they could get into in the future. With her there wouldn't be a dull moment.

ᵠᵠ

"What's it like in the New Mexico?" Elizabeth had asked as they were stowing there things above their seats in the passage car. Outside the conductor yells "All aboard" indicating the train was about to leave. Edward was busy planning how he would get Elizabeth alone on this thirty hour trip.

"I am not sure how to answer that. I have only been there on business trips. I am going to be lost on a ranch. I know that doesn't sound very manly, but remember Bridget is the animal person in the family. She and the work hands mostly took care of the ranching part of the property while I was the business end." Edward joked.

"Mostly desert and mountains make up the terrain. Silver City is known for mining and Billy the Kid and not much else. Why? Are you worried you will not like it?"

"Oh, that is not it. As long as you and my family are there, I can live pretty much anywhere. I was asking because most of the west was such a mystery in my time. I was just curious."

Edward went hard at the thought of them living together. She was his, and they would build a life together despite the drama unfolding around them. He reached over to place a feather light kiss on her lips, but her intoxicating scent pulled him in for a much heavier, demanding taste. He pushed her against the seat as passengers moved past them to claim their spots.

"My little witch, I will marry you and you will be mine forever." Edward breathed between kisses. His cock was rock hard and he need to be inside her.

"Marry you! Are you asking, Edward, or are you telling?"

"Both little witch. Now, spread those legs so I can pleasure you. Going to need to be very quiet so the other passengers don't have a clue what we are doing. Can you do that?" He whispered in her ear as his hand traveled up her leg and his tongue explored that sensitive spot behind her ear.