Aldeheid found himself hoping that she would stab him. Hate him. Something. Anything to mitigate the guilt burning through his chest. The thought of her as a corpse at his feet made his stomach sour, and while he'd never killed any capes at the Etheria Bastion, he'd killed quite a few in his old home. Which meant Gwen dying by his hands was still a very real, very frightening possibility.

Perhaps they could stay in the antechamber. Talk. They could get to know each other a little better, exchange niceties. He could convince her that this trial was a bad idea. That she'd regret this day.

"Nice earring," she said, pulling him from his thoughts. She tip-toed to flick the gaudy bauble dangling from his ear and looped an arm around his. "Shall we?"

"Did anyone tell you about me?" He bit his tongue. That wasn't meant to be said out loud.

Gwen laughed, a gentle sound that reminded him of wind chimes, and pulled him towards the door. "I was told, but I do like a challenge."

Aldeheid suppressed a groan. "I'm not the kind of challenge you want."

Arm in arm, they walked into the heart of the Bastion. They entered the circular chamber through its heavy wooden double doors. Every magician and cape present at the Bastion was gathered on the upper circle except for Berard and his cape, Anha, who stood near a stone pillar. They gave Aldeheid encouraging nods as he stepped inside.

Morning sunshine streamed through the skylight high above their heads, illuminating the stone pedestal at the room's center. Five empty cauldrons formed a semicircle around it, each with a different symbol etched on its surface.

Under the scrutiny of a hundred gazes, Aldeheid and Gwen stood on either side of the pedestal - the instrument that would allow him to use Gwen's magic without them being bonded. Of course no one would want to miss this. One would think that after so many failures, it would've gotten old. But no, even those who'd been out and about during the wee hours had dragged themselves out of bed to witness his inevitable embarrassment.

Among them were the Bastion's King, Gallitel. He stood with one hand on the banister, his rings winking in the sunlight as he drummed his fingertips on the stone surface. Claudia, his magician, partner, and the Bastion's Queen stood beside him, a scowl plastered on her face and her eyes burning with the fury of a hundred suns. The medics stood to their left, near the stairs, ready for the impending disaster.

Gallitel cleared his throat and the room fell into silence. For a moment, he peered down at the pair, his grey eyes betraying nothing.

"Berard, the spell, please," Gallitel said.

Berard took Anha's hand and a glow settled in her chest. It spread through her body, down her limbs until she was obscured by it. Finally, she morphed into an elegant, silk cape the colour of red wine, and Berard secured her upon his shoulders with a gold clasp. The transition took only a few seconds, and he went straight into reciting a spell.

Aldeheid watched the shimmering barrier form around him and Gwen, stretching up to where the spectators were gathered. Envy burned deep within his gut, and he ground his teeth together to quell his annoyance. That could've been him with a cape on his shoulders, casting magic, were he not such a worthless magician.

"You may begin," Gallitel announced.

Aldeheid placed his marked hand on the pedestal, and Gwen placed hers atop it, giving him a small smile. Please... stop being nice to me. He did his best to return her smile before facing his nemesis.

The cape trial. It was simple, really. All he had to do was light the damn cauldrons with one simple spell. Even a half-witted child could do it. Aldeheid had been through this song and dance so many times that he knew every note, inflection, step and twirl. Yet his execution was always off.