The Untold Story of Cato and Clove

Start from the beginning

"I couldn't care less. I'm about to leave for the capitol. What is he going to do about it?"

"That is true.....You're still going?"

"I have to."

"I know. Well, don't be late."

"Okay, see you later."

Clove's POV

I'm about to purchase some blue berries from the market when someone covers my eyes and says, "Guess who?" I can already tell it's Cato. He always does that.

"Hmm Is it my stupid best friend that's about to volunteer for the Hunger Games because he's an idiot?" I say. I know why he has to volunteer and I know he can win, but it's going to be different without him here.

"Come on, Clove. Really?" he says taking his hands off of my eyes. I ignore him and give the lady money for the blue berries. I start walking in the direction of my house.

"Clove. Come on. Don't ignore me."

I turn around to face him."I don't like saying good bye."

"Then don't say good bye. Say see you later." He says. I look into his deep blue eyes. I can't believe he's really going into the arena.

"Fine. See you later." I start walking towards my house again, but then I stop because I realize that I might not ever see him again. I turn back around and hug him. "You have to win." I whisper in his ear.

"I will. I'll win for you."

Before I have time to think, I kiss him. I pull away even though I don't want to. I know It's getting close to the Reaping.

"I'll see you later." He says smiling. He doesn't smile a lot. I love his smile. I love it even more right now because I know I'm the reason he's smiling.

Cato's POV

Clove walks away leaving me standing on the sidewalk with a stupid smile on my face. I have to win the Hunger Games, so I can come back to that girl.

"Hey, Cato!" Someone calls. I turn around and see that it's Patrick, one of my friends from school.

"Hey."

"Good luck. We all know it's going to be you this year!"

"Thanks." My dad made sure to let everyone know that I'm volunteering this year, so that no one else will volunteer.

"Can I ask you a question?"

"I guess."

"Do you think Clove would say yes if I asked her out?" He's lucky I don't beat the hell out of him right now.

"You should probably be asking her that not me, dude" He has twenty seconds to turn around and leave before I kick his ass.

"Okay. Good luck."

I mutter something of a thanks and walk towards the town square. It must already be around 3:00 p.m. because people are already making their way into the square. I spot Caleb and Cameron.

"Cato!" Cameron squeals and runs over to me. I bend down and give her a hug. She has on a light purple dress and and her hair is in two braids. She looks older, prettier. As her older brother, I can't let anything happen to her.

"You look pretty, Cam. Let me know if Thomas bothers you." Thomas is a kid around her age that has a huge crush on her. She claims that he's annoying, but I think she likes him.

"Thanks. Hey, there's Clove! Clove!" She says running towards Clove, her blonde braids bobbing up and down as she runs.

"So what happened when you went to see Clove?" Caleb asks me.

"What? Nothing. Why?" I answer maybe a little bit too quickly.

"The way you're looking at her." He says. I probably am looking at her differently. I never realized how beautiful she is. She's wearing a light blue dress and her hair is wavy.

"Hey Cato." she says smiling. "Caleb."

"Welcome, welcome." Daphne Woods greets everyone. "Please go to your correct group."

Clove takes my hand and squeezes it. "See you later she says." Then she walk to her group.

"The time has come to offer up one courageous young man and women for the honors in representing their district in the 74th Hunger Games." Daphne Woods says. "Ladies first." Surprisingly no one volunteered. She sticks her hand in the bowl and pulls out a slip of paper. "Cameron Hadley."

What did she just say? It sounded like she just said my sister's name. That can't be right. I can see Cameron slowly making her way to the stage. This can't be happening.

"I volunteer!" a voice says. Great. I know that voice. "I volunteer as tribute!"

Clove just volunteered to save my sister's life.

Clove's POV

What did I just do? What was I supposed to do? I couldn't just stand there and watch Cameron go into the Hunger Games against her own brother. At least best friend vs. best friend isn't as bad as brother vs. sister. Honor is too important to him, so he can't back down.

"Now what's your name?" Daphne asks.

"Clove Tettleton." I reply. I wonder if Cato will still volunteer. Of course he will. If he doesn't then his dad will probably kill Cato himself.

"Now for the boys." she says. "James Hullet."

It's almost too late when Cato says "I volunteer as tribute."

"What's your name young man?"

"Cato Hadley."

"I bet that was your sister Miss Tettleton volunteered for."

He just nods. When we shake hands I avoid his eyes.

They take us to the Justice Building, where we will get to say our good byes. My mother comes in first. She just hugs me and tells me she loves me. My dad doesn't even come. Shocker. He's a drunk that couldn't care less about me and my mom.

Then Cameron comes in. She starts crying.

"You didn't have to do that." she says.

"I know, but how could I let you go against your own brother?"

"Thank you." She says and hugs me. Cameron is like the little sister I never had. Cato I and have been friends since we were nine, so I've watched Cameron grow up. It's just too bad I won't see her get any older.

"I love you like your my own little sister. You know that, right?"

She nods and then leaves.

Cato's POV

What just happened? I"m going into the Hunger Games against my best friend. Caleb comes to see me first.

"You can't let her get in the way of you winning." he says. I don't think I've ever seen him so serious.

I don't answer.

"Cato! You have to stay focused. You have to win."

"Stop talking like dad. I know what I have to do." I snap.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean-"

"I know." I interrupt him. "I'm still going to try to win. Take care of Cameron, Caleb."

"I will." We hug and then he leaves.

Cameron comes in crying. I hug her.

"Listen, you have to be strong okay?" she nods. "No matter what you see on tv you have to be strong." I wipe the tears off her face and hug her again. "Don't cry, Cam." I wish I could tell her everything is going to be okay, but I'm not a liar. "I love you."

"I love you too." she says, then she's gone. I will find my way back to her. I'm just going to have to avoid Clove. Let someone else kill her. What am I thinking? I can't let someone kill Clove. I was ready to kick Patrick's ass just for saying he liked her. I could never let someone kill her. I have to protect her.