Chapter 22

Storm clouds rumble overhead, lightning flashing and illuminating the little mortal village at the base of a mountain. Poseidon realises with horror that he's hovering in the air.

"Another dream-walk?" Nico asked, raising his eyebrows.

There's an explosion from the middle of the village, darkness swirling overhead briefly fleeing before the light.

Poseidon moves closer, finding himself only inches from a spear which is thrown at a figure beside him. The boy instinctively jerks away, despite only being a shade observing the past. Nothing can hurt him here.

It may be so for Poseidon, but the immortals he's watching don't have the same advantage.

He recognises Kronos, black sword a flurry of motion as he fends off tendrils of shadows flying towards him, deflecting sharp spears and arrows. Standing opposite Kronos, across the square, is Erebus.

"Okay..." Percy said slowly. "What's happening?"

The Primordial has his hands spread out towards Kronos, fingers splayed in many directions. As he waves his hand, a thick arm of shadows sweep Kronos off his feet, the Titan landing with a grunt, before quickly rolling to his feet again.

"Come on, nephew!" Erebus taunts with a gleeful smile. "No lying down on the job!"

Kronos grits his teeth. When he looks up, Poseidon notes the absence of the scar on his forehead and a horrible feeling settles in his gut. Kronos had received that scar from Erebus.

Athena's eyes widened. "Maybe this is when he gets the scar."

While Kronos stands back up, Erebus waves his hand, and a row of huts to the side abruptly explode into black flames.

It's pure chaos as mortals scream and call out to each other, panicked mothers grabbing onto their children and running. Several are shot down by Erebus, spears made of shadows piercing their necks. After the first wave of spears, the next ones are blocked by a glimmering golden shield, woven like a blanket over the mortals.

Poseidon's jaw drops when he realises that Kronos is defending them from Erebus.

Apollo whistled. "Didn't think the old bastard had it in him."

"Enough, Erebus," Kronos says tiredly once the mortals have fled. "No more."

Erebus snorts. "Please. Are you tired already? But we've only just started, nephew."

"This isn't going to end well," Hades muttered.

Kronos sighs and lifts Backbiter. "Fine." The two immortals clash with speed beyond with Poseidon can see, only flashes of light as their weapons meet the indicators of where they are. Then, abruptly, Kronos is flung away through a building.

"He is completely outmatched," Ares noted.

Erebus has a small cut down his arm, but Kronos, when he staggers to his feet, has his chest plate almost caved in. He spits out ichor.

"But he's still going," Poseidon murmured.

"Fight, Kronos!" Erebus roars. "Damn it, you're supposed to be able to defeat us!"