Chapter 32: Defect

Start from the beginning

"Wait, we aren't calling down the scrap bots?" Rick asked.

"No, we aren't Rick. Let's get these students out of this place. I'm getting dust in my beard."

"Oh." Rick looked down at his feet then around at everyone else. "I thought that was an order to get scrap bots, so I sent a signal up to Gretta in the academy." Mr. Shotuku stopped in his tracks and everyone watched as steam rose up off the top of his head.

"You kids will be my early death."

"Old man, you're way past a late death!" Chase scoffed at his own joke before a fuzzy projectile knocked him out. Upon seeing the wrath of the elder, Cain's strike force stood bolt upright at attention, suddenly understanding where such a young group could get its tenacity.

"Very well, if the scrap bots are being sent down, it would seem that you are all going to go off on an unauthorized assignment regardless of what your teacher says." A cheer went up from the entire group. "But be warned! I will not be helping you any longer while you continue this foolish quest. I shall be returning to the academy with Rick, so expect nothing from me or him anymore. Come along Rick." Shotuku grabbed the bodyguard by the hair and dragged him along behind him towards the ship.

"But...but Miss Riya! I am to protect her! Wait!" But that was the last they heard of the pleading Rick before the ship's door closed. As everyone watched the ship rise up into the air, a cluster of smaller metal pods shot down towards the ground. These contraptions erupted when they collided with the ground and a shiny, steel wave came rushing out, formed from the thousands of chitinous, robotic beetles that made up the scrap bots.

The barren, dusty ground was soon swarming with the metal insects and they spread out as a gleaming blanket towards the fallen battlesuits. "No, no, mine first!" Ardwen shouted as the rest watched in silent awe. As a collective, the scrap bots turned and flowed over Mother Gaia. Some broke off to go to the others and even into the town, hunting down the metals and materials they would need.

The rest were already chewing up parts of the Goliaths, their bodies breaking down the materials and restructuring them into a newer form. The replacement parts certainly wouldn't be as strong or durable as what a full repair would give but in this situation it was the best they could do. It didn't take long before Ardwen's warmachine was standing once more and surveying the surroundings.

With a cheer, the young leader hopped into Mother Gaia and turned it back online. He quickly released the two small metal orbs that hovered around his Goliath and were equipped with an assortment of devices useful for repairs. As he began to work on sealing up the hole on Riya's machine, the scrap bots flowed beside him, picking up new parts and devouring the old ones.

The rest of the CRU turned their attention to the problem of the captives. "Well, I think we should be kind to those who showed us the same mercy," Riya said. "Look at how Rick turned out."

"Rick is a pushover. I don't think four hardened soldiers of war will want to drink tea with you Riya." Chase chuckled at his own joke and, as usual, was alone in doing so.

"You remind me of my daughter," Jericho stated from the ground as he nodded towards Riya. "And you, unfortunately, are much like my son." This was directed at Chase.

"We forget sometimes that everyone is part of a family, somewhere, even our enemies." Porter spoke with a soft calmness that silenced the rest. His eyes were looking out towards Narrius, where the remnants of the explosion were still drifting through the air. "We all have our family. I lost mine though, and I do not wish to be the cause of someone else losing theirs. The Artisans go free."

"Are you nuts Porter?" Chase shouted.

"I believe I am next in command without Ardwen around. I'm afraid you have to comply Chase." Porter bent over to begin unwrapping the prisoners and Raul joined him wordlessly.