Chapter 3: SM Pt. 3

Start from the beginning

                “About earlier, you aren’t mad or anything? I mean it was a joke.” He asked somewhat nervous. Smiling I gave Joffrey a reassuring smile.

                “No worries man. It’s all good. But fair warning when you can’t breathe tonight you’ll know why.” I said with a evil gleam in my eyes. Grinning Joffrey shook his head and headed inside the showers. Once I reached my room I dressed and went to comb my newly chopped locks back when I realized I was smiling. It felt good. I would definitely have to do it more often.

McClane’s POV: (Past)

The day Sean left for the Naval Academy I watched from my car across the street in the next parking lot. I watched as he said his goodbyes to his family and his friends. I watched him promise his mother he’d call as soon as he got here. I watched her give him a peck on the temple before passing him off to his father. I watched them hug and his father whisper something into Sean’s ear. I watched him nod his head and give his father a handshake.

 I watched him hug Micah for the longest time before pulling back to give Declan a hug as well. As I watched this all I could think about was him lying next to me sleeping sound. Strands of his hair lay softly across his forehead as the morning light began to creep through the partially drawn curtains. I could remember the smell of him and the taste of him on my lips.  I could remember the feel of his skin next to mine warm and soft.

I could remember it like it was yesterday but I couldn’t remember anything after that. I blocked out all the images of Sean’s teary eyes as he walked down my parent’s driveway. Time after time he’d come to see me and I was too scared to even speak to him. As he loaded the bus I had the sudden urge to get the car. Run across the parking lot and into the street. Push anyone in my way down to get to that bus before he left, before he disappeared from my life. I needed him to know how I felt. How I still feel. How much I care for him. I reached for the door handled and squeezed until my fingers had gone numb. I had to tell him but I didn’t open the door. I didn’t move until I saw Sean’s bus pass by me on its way out of town.

                ‘Coward.’ Said the little voice in the back of my mind. It was right I am a coward. I use to play the game as good as anyone else. One night with Sean and I’m in pieces unable to make a decision without second guessing myself. I felt my phone vibrate against my chest.I knew this ringtone. Reaching into my shirt pocket I pulled it out.

                “Yeah Declan.” I said into the mouth piece.

                “Are you going to sit there all day or are you going to go to work?” He asked. Blinking a few times I brought my eyes into focus just to realize Declan was standing in front my car peering inside at me. Hanging up the phone I rolled my window down as he walked around.

                “How did you know I was here?” I asked little annoyed. Grinning Declan fluttered his eyes lashes at me and pointed to Micah’s car a few rows down.

                “Seven spotted you. He thought I would want to know you were here.” He said. I could see Seven’s face pressed against the glass of Micah’s car, his hand waving frantically. I could also see Micah’s eyes burning with pure hatred. Cutting my eyes away I tried to calm down but my heart had begun to speed up.

                “You okay?” Declan asked. My standard answer to this question had been ‘Yeah, I’m fine.’ But I couldn’t give Declan that answer. He knew me better than that. He’s the only one who’d seen me balled up on the floor of my bedroom crying my eyes out.

                “Micah’s not so happy to see me.” I said. Turning back to Micah’s car Declan stepped in the line of vision blocking me from his view.

                “Sorry about that.” He whispered. We both knew there was no reason for him to apologize. Clearly I was the villain in this story but being who Declan is he’d never let me be it alone.

                “Mom called, she wanted to have us over for Sunday dinner but she couldn’t reach you.” He said changing the topic completely.

                “Yeah I might have to work. I’ll call her and let her know if I can come.” I lied. From the look on Declan’s face he knew it was a lie. With that he nodded his head he turned away. I wanted to call out to him to tell him the truth why I didn’t want to come to Sunday dinner but like before I didn’t more. I watched Declan climb into Micah’s car and slowly pull out of the parking lot. I sat there a few more minutes trying to erase the memory of Declan's disappointment of me.  When I could finally blink my eyes without the threat of tears I pulled out onto the road and headed into work.

When I arrived I made a bee line straight to my office. I was fortunate I made some great social connections in school. This position at Quantum Technologies was mine before I even had my interview. The downside to getting a job through someone you know is the expectance of pay back. Seeing that it was Sasha’s father who owned Quantum Technologies I couldn’t get away from her. I knew she still had a thing for me but I wasn’t expecting this. It was like she was stalking me. I couldn’t get a cup of coffee without her showing up out of nowhere.

Thankfully I was able to get in without raising her alarm. I sat at my desk and rubbed my tired eyes. I needed to sleep but when I closed my eyes all I saw was Sean.  Sighing I booted by computer up and waited for my log in screen to appear. It hadn’t been a minute and I was again yawning. As much as I would like to never leave my office I needed some coffee. Grabbing my mug from the bookshelf behind me I went to the door. Slowly I turned to knob and peered out into the hall. It was empty so I hurried along until I reached the break room. I was in mid pour when I felt the hair on the back of my neck stand on end.

                ‘She’s here.’ I thought to myself. I could smell her overbearing perfume fill the room suffocating me.

                “Good morning McClane.” She purred. Placing the coffee pot back I moved over to the creamer and proceeded to pour.

                “Morning Sasha.” I said keeping my voice void of any emotion. Sliding up next to me she leaned in and pressed her breast to my arm.

                “I’ve been thinking… we haven’t had any time together so I thought maybe we could have dinner on Sunday. Just the two of us… in a nice quiet place… what you do think?” She asked peering up at me through her fake lashes. I had the urge to push her away but I didn't. Honestly I came close.

                “Sorry but I already told my mom I would come over for dinner, maybe some other time.” I said in a hush. Turning I almost ran from the break room with my coffee. I didn’t want to give Sasha a chance to throw out another day for us to have dinner. I sloshed my coffee on my hand trying to get back to the safety of my office. When I finally got behind the door there was a mean red mark streaking down my hand where the hot coffee burned me.

                ‘Better to have a burn than dinner with Sasha.’ My conscious said. I agreed whole heartedly. While I searched my first aid kit for some burn ointment I called my mom confirming dinner for Sunday. I knew if I didn’t and Sasha called my mom I would be labeled the liar. Logging into my computer I started to work. I needed something to get my head off of Sean and anything was better than Sasha.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is Sasha------->