Chapter Twenty-Six

Jo didn't know where she was going. She had fired a quick text to Scarlett saying she had to leave and that she wouldn't be able to drive her or Spook home. She had jumped in her car and sped off. In her rear-view mirror, she thought she glimpsed Greyson in the doorway, but she couldn't be sure.  

Jo wasn't sure what her made her spill everything like that. Greyson had come on so suddenly that she hadn't known how to react. Not only that, he had insulted her in such a way that she felt provoked to defend herself. Jo had never lost her temper in such a way before. What was it about the boy in the hoodie that rattled something inside her?

Jo drove so long that when she checked her phone, it was long after midnight. She was supposed to have been home over an hour ago. 

Jo sped off and arrived at her house in a daze. She entered and threw everything down on the ground. Her purse landed just inside the door. Her keys fell somewhere she didn't bother to look. Jo could feel another panic attack coming as she thought about that night. She couldn't control it. 

Mrs. O'Malley was no longer there. There was a note on the side table explaining that Scarlett had told her it was fine to leave Ricky because Jo was on her way home. Jo let out a single loud sob. How long had her brother been home alone?

"JoJo?"

Jo froze. The adrenaline froze in her veins. 

"Ricky?" Ricky peered around the corner of his bedroom. He was home alone. He was terrified and he had tear streaks down his face. Jo felt tears burn in her eyes and for the second time that week, Jo melted.

"Oh God, Ricky. I'm so sorry, Ricky. I didn't mean to leave you alone for so long!" Jo scooped the scared little boy up into her arms and fell down to the ground. Jo cried, sobbed, heaved. Ricky was scared, he didn't understand why his sister was upset or where she had been. He patted her back, just like she did to him when he was crying, but it only made her cry harder.

"I love you so much, little man. You know that right? " Ricky stared up at his sister. He couldn't quite understand what she was trying to tell him. Instead, he leaned his head against her chest and held onto her tightly. Jo let loose a sob and clutched him tight. 

They fell asleep together like that, Jo slumped against the hallway and Ricky secured tightly in her arms. That's when the memories started.

*~*~*~*~*

This wasn't supposed to be short but I feel like it doesn't need to be any longer. This is an incredibly important chapter. I'm sorry if you aren't satisfied with it but I promise the next chapter will be worth the wait. 

Please, I'd love to hear from you. Comment and maybe vote, too. Every little bit is appreciated!

Always,
L

The One Who Ran Awayजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें