EPILOGUE

The horn of the limousine toots outside for the second time when I disappear into my room. I just saw Danny come out of his in his tux and tie. He looks dashing with the broad smile on his face and corsage in his hand. The others are outside in the limo.

I'm happy for them, even if I can't stay downstairs. Rikky or Paul will soon be in, and when they see me they'll try everything to cajole me to come with, and that's not something I think I can stand to face.

I leave the door slightly ajar and lean by the frame to hear what goes on. The front door opens and there's soon a happy ruckus.

"Looking sharp!" That's Paul, laughing and probably slapping Danny on the shoulder.

"Thanks man. You aren't bad yourself. And Rikky, you look great."

I imagine her in the silver sequined dress she told me all about a while ago. I was hardly listening, but I caught those few words.

"We're all here except for Jez. We'll pick her up next and head to school," says Paul.

"'kay," Danny replies. I smile. I can almost feel their excitement. I'm happy Jez is letting her friends go to her place now. I hope that means things are better for her at home.

"Where's Jess?" Rikky asks. Uh-oh. The inevitable question.

"Uh, she's...not coming," says Danny.

"What?" They both exclaim. "Why?" Rikky asks.

"She's not feeling it. I've been trying for weeks to convince her but she won't budge."

"Won't budge my ass, let me talk to her. "

Ugh. Thanks a lot Danny. Couldn't he have covered for me. Said I was sick or something?

I quickly hide under my comforter and try my best to look asleep. I don't need anyone breathing down my neck about this. I'm not going. Is that so hard to understand?

She only knocks once, sharp and hard, before she throws the door open.

"It's six PM. I know you're not asleep!" she yells. If a resting person was ever enough to stop anyone else I should've known it would never stop Rikky. She yanks the comforter off me and I have no choice but to quit feigning.

"Get dressed," she orders. I was right. She is in the silver dress, and it looks stunning on her. I've never seen Rikky invest so much care into her appearance but this time she went all the way. She's near flawless.

"I'm not going. Danny's already told you that. You look pretty, by the way."

"Don't try and sweet talk me! This is our senior prom. You already sat out of junior prom. I'm not letting you miss this."

"Don't you think prom is a little overrated?" I say. She scowls.

I sigh. "Look, I don't know what happened to you. You've been depressed again since March and I won't deny that I noticed it but you can't stay like this forever. We won't let you."

"It's not about that. I just don't want to go. It's not a big deal."

"It's a huge deal!" She explodes. "What teenager doesn't want to go to prom?"

"Look, I'm not as crazy about these things as everyone else is. I just don't want to go."

"This is about Jordan, isn't it? Or is it Evans this time?"

"Rikky, I don't want to go." Leave me alone, I want to scream, but I can't.

"I can't believe this," she mutters. "Fine then." She flings my door open and walks away.