Final Chapter

Soulmates

[...Zzz...]

They say that when you meet the one you're destined to be with for the rest of your life, your entire world would brighten up around you. It is said that the moment your eyes meet with the eyes of that one special person, you would start to see colors.

People who haven't met their soulmates could only see shades of black, grey, and white. Kozume Kenma, a second year high school student from Nekoma High, was one of these people. He could only see the monochromatic world as it was.

Funny thing is...he didn't really care.

In order for one to find their soulmate and see colors, they needed to have eye contact with them. You could already imagine the terror in Kenma's face when he learned about this. The gamer instantly became more uncomfortable around others and started avoiding looking them in the eye.

Although that didn't mean that he hated the idea of having a soulmate.

In fact, it would be nice to have someone other than his next door neighbor to talk to sometimes. But Kenma was very shy and he didn't know how to make friends on his own. His inability to express his emotions openly often leads a lot of people to mistake him for being a cold person.

Gaming was the only thing besides volleyball that he found fun. He didn't like people and he didn't want to be around them either. He felt contented in his isolation where he didn't have to worry about what people thought of him. That was what Kenma had believed back then.

If it weren't for his friend Kuroo then he never would have met his team in Nekoma, he never would have met Hinata from their school's old rival, and he never would have met her.

It was an odd meeting because the two never have spoken to each other before, despite being the same year. Although he noticed her around the school during their freshmen years, Kenma never paid much attention to her before. She was an honest, bubbly, and somewhat naive person from what he could tell. Other than that, that was all he knew about this stranger.

It was on his second year of high school that they finally spoke. She initiated it since Kenma wouldn't even dream of trying to talk to a girl by himself. She was cute and short, a type of girl that many guys in his year would confess to.

He noticed that she was anxious about something and tried to stutter out the words.

"C-C-Could you m-meet me a-after your pr-practice, K-K-Ko...Kozu-Kozume...-kun..?"

Any guy would be surprised for a cute girl like his classmate to ask to meet with them. Except for Kozume Kenma. He was almost sure that she wanted to ask him about his best friend Kuroo like most girls would in his year.

This time he was wrong.

He met her again after their volleyball practice; she was playing with a cat just outside the school gates. When his teammates asked what she was doing there all alone, she seemed to hesitate about something...until her eyes met his own.

"Ko-Kozume-kun!!"

At that instant, he noticed that her eyes began to change, almost as if they had...color?

From nature's greens to the sky's blues to their uniform's blazing reds, he could see it all clearly. Color was beginning to paint itself into his once dull black and white world. Kenma was stunned.

What's more is that he hadn't expected for the very person to give his life color would confess her feelings to him that same day. This girl he barely knew started shouting at the top of her lungs about how she felt about him. This stranger that gave him a brighter and more beautiful view of everything he once knew. This girl...was running away!?