Part 25

December 24th-

"One present only!" Mary laughs as Lilly rummages through the few gifts under the tree. She sits down next to Riley, who's sitting on the couch curled into a ball under her throw blanket. "Feeling any better?" Mary asks, moving hair from her face.

"N-no." Riley stammers. "The infections a-are hurting. A-alot."  Riley pulls the blanket up to her shoulders, hiding the red patches on her skin.

"Here Riley." Lilly walks up to her big sister with a small box. "It has your name on it." Riley moves her feet so Lilly can sit next to her and her mom. "We can open ours together?" She states, more as a question.

"Sure."

Lilly starts tearing through the jolly looking paper as Riley slowly opens her, eyes watering. "Here. Let me help." Ally sits in front of the couch and hold her hand out. Riley hands her the box and watches her open it. She opens the box and hands it back to Riley.

"Thanks.." Riley voice cracks. She looks down at the box and smiles a little. A two piece ring set. "Thank you." She whispers. "They're beautiful."

"Let me see?" John walks over and leans down. "Well aren't  they pretty. Fit for second in command. My eldest princess." He smiles and kisses his daughters forehead. "Do you two like your gifts?" He asks Lilly and Ally.

"Daddy look!" Lilly stands on the couch and hold the the black box up for him to see. "I got my very own princess crown!" She squeals.

"Oh that's lovely. What about you Alison?"  He turns his attention to the girl in the floor.

"I got a necklace. It's got the Effle Tower on it." She smiles and holds it up.

"Very lovely." He smiles. "Darling, where are the boys?"

"Outside. In the snow." Mary points to the window.

"Why don't you two go and join them." John insists. Lilly jumps off the couch wearing the crown." Ah ah ah. Lilly leave that inside." He holds his hand out. The little girl hugs and takes the crown off, handing it to her father. Lilly huffs, handing over the crown, then books it out of the living room. Ally follows suit, they put on their boots, gloves, hats and jackets before running outside.

Riley smiles and looks out the window, getting the perfect veiw. "Well this year has been quite the trip." She states.

"It sure has.. And who the hell get a little kid a crown?" John looks at his wife and daughter. Riley quickly points at Mary while Mary points at Riley.