“Hey, wait up.”

I squeaked as I jumped a couple inches into the air in panic, dropping my books. My hands quickly covered my rear. My heart was pounding, and my breathing was heavy. He looked surprised and slightly baffled. I realized from his look that I probably looked ridiculous. Clearing my throat, I straightened my posture. Then, bending down with my knees, I picked my books off the floor. Jake got down to help me.

“Look, I’m so-”

“It’s fine. No big deal,” I said quickly, trying to pick my things up as fast as possible. Jake stopped and stared at me. I gave him a forced smile, grasping my things from his hands. I shot up, trying to escape.

“Wait!” he ordered. I stopped in my tracks, noting the urgency in his voice. Against my better judgement, I turned around slowly to look at him. He lifted up his hand to reveal a small pencil eraser.

“Don’t forget this,” he said quietly. Slowly, I reached to grab the tiny object from his hands.

“Thanks,” I mumbled. Again, as I tried to turn around, I felt something stop me, but this time it was a hand. It was my left shoulder, staring me right in the eyes as I looked down on it.

“Hey, look, I’m sorry. Didn’t mean to hurt you yesterday. I didn’t know I hit you that hard,” he said. With that, I whipped myself around, pulling away from his touch.

“You think that’s what that was all about?” I asked. He shrugged.

“I guess so,” he replied. I swallowed hard, taking a step forward.

“What gives you the right to touch me that way?” I asked him. His expression was blank, but he took a step back. I moved forward. “You have no right to place a hand on me at any time. Do you understand?” He backed up further. I stepped up. “You have no right to touch any girl like that, in general. It’s degrading. We are not toys to be played with.” His back hit the lockers. I stepped up as close as I was willing to get to him. “Never will you touch a girl like that without her permission. I will report you if you do.” With that, Jake stared at me for a moment. For a moment, he looked sincerely sad. For a moment, he looked surprised on my lecture. For a moment, he was confused. Just for a moment.

After that moment, though, he cracked a smile, taking a step towards me, his chest touching mine.

“Man, can you give a scolding or what... That’s what I like about you. You’re so feisty,” he commented, grinning like a buffoon. I bit my lower lip, regretting my outburst.

“No,” I said, “Stop it. I don’t want anything to do with you, ever, okay?” With that, I took a step and turned around, walking away.

“Awww, sweetheart... how are you ever going to win Jack’s heart now?”

I stopped in my tracks. My heart dropped down to my stomach. I couldn’t let myself give away to what he said. It was probably just a test. I was about to take another step forward when I heard him again.

“Don’t act like you don’t know what I’m talking about.”

I heard footsteps easing closer towards me. I looked down to my feet and closed my eyes, gently, trying to keep calm.

“You were drooling all over him,” he said, his breath down my neck, “Don’t think I didn’t notice.” I whipped myself around to look him in the eyes. His expression from before was gone. This Jake in front of me was once again the cocky, confident Jake, known to be a total player and a badass.

“Don’t worry,” he whispered, trailing his finger from my cheekbone to my chin, “your secret is safe with me.” I pulled away from his touch again.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” I said, trying to make my voice appear stronger. He chuckled, bringing his face closer to mine, until our lips were mere inches apart.

“Oh, really? So if I told Jack to go out with that girl that’s been trying to score him, you wouldn’t mind?” he whispered. I flinched. Jake noticed right away and pulled away, smiling victoriously. My face felt numb, dropping to face the floor.

“What do you want from me?” I whispered. It was quiet for a few moments. I pinched my eyes shut, squeezing them together as hard as possible.

“I’m sorry,” I heard him say. I didn’t look at him.

“I don’t want us to be on bad terms.” I didn’t look at him.

“The only reason I touched your ass is because I loved your reaction. I know that’s something you probably don’t want to hear,” he said. I shook my head. I didn’t look at him.

“Come on. Say something,” he said. I opened my eyes.

“Don’t touch me,” I said. Jake stood there silently. After a while, I heard him sigh.

“Fine,” he said, mockingly, “I won’t touch your ass without your permission.” I whipped my head up at him.

“I mean it,” I said. Jake smiled.

“So do I,” he said. I nodded.

“No physical contact in any way. Understood?” I asked. Jake nodded with a half smile, and I felt it safe to begin walking away. For real, this time. As I walked away though, he stopped me again.

“Hey, Kat?”

I glanced over my shoulder to look at him one more time.

“Yeah?” I said.

“Do I have permission to touch your ass?” he asked, bearing me a sweet smile. I gave him a smile back.

“Very funny,” I replied.

“Worth a shot,” he said, shrugging. He smiled at me, winked, and walked away in a different direction. There was something so different about him, I thought, something no one else here had. Was it charm? Charisma? Or was it just a lack of respect? Well, whatever it was, for some strange reason, his comment made me smile for the rest of the day.