~ 1 ~

A loud clang resonated throughout the building as a cell door slammed shut, a body thrown against a wall, groaning softly. After a few, maybe fifteen seconds, the person uncurled himself and sat up, looking around. "...So, um... how's life, everyone?"

"Aren't we mister cheerful today." The girl in the neighboring cell commented, looking up from the pebble she was rubbing. "You're too calm, you a spy? Not like they need one, of course." She sent a glare his way.

He, however, grinned. "Nah, wouldn't be fit for the job. 'm just an outgoing guy, I guess." His bunny ears flicked forward past the large deer antlers, leaning towards her. "How long've you been here?"

She rolled her eyes. "Long as I can remember."

"Sorry to hear that. I've been here... two minutes, by my guess." His grin grew slightly.

"I could tell." She turned to the sleeping figure in her cell, giving them a glance.

"Oh wait, I didn't introduce myself!" His eyes widened and the grin faded. "Stupid me. I'm Nicholas, but everyone calls me Nick."

She made a small noise somewhere between a laugh and a scoff. "Hmph... Well, I'm Infinity. This is my brother Insanity, he doesn't talk much." She gestured to the sleeping boy.

"Well hi there!" Nick's grin came back as if it had never been gone. He attempted to stick his hand through the bars, but it became caught in them. "Oh shit, hang on."

"Two minutes thirty-five seconds and you already got your hand stuck. Congrats." A boy's voice came from behind Nick, in the same cell. How hadn't he noticed when he surveyed his surroundings...?

Nick barely gave the newcomer a glance. "Oh, hey." He struggled for another moment with his hand. "What's your name?"

He hesitated. "I'm Adam, and you're an idiot. Although, a cute idiot.." Adam mused quietly, watching Nick fail.

"Aww, thank you! I know I'm an idiot, otherwise I wouldn't have been captured by some stupid scientists." Nick rambled, freeing his hand. "Ah, there we go." He turned to see Adam, a short brunette in a galaxy shirt with stunning blue eyes and bright teal cat ears and tail. Nick was speechless, how could someone be so beautiful?

"...So, what exactly are you?" Adam leaned against the stone bench. "Like, what hybrid are ya?"

"Welllll, they mixed a bunny and a deer so now I'm a jackalope. Seriously, I thought those were myths, I got the antlers and everything. Whole package." Nick began to ramble, slowing down watching Adam. Adam crossed his arms and started muttering angrily, Nick could swear that one of his eyes was black, pure black with glowing white irises-

No, stop it. You're just seeing things. His mind scolded him, and he scooted over to Adam. "What's wrong?" He unconsciously used puppy eyes on the shorter hybrid, staring into those oh so beautiful blue eyes.

Adam gave a small chuckle, his tail swishing through the air. "Damn kid, you're really getting to me. I mean come on though, the newbie is some fancy jackalope while us who've been here forever are plain old nekos and werewolves. 'S just not fair."

"Salt." Infinity commented.

"I dunno, being a cat is probs cool. Plus, these antlers get stuck all the time." Nick responded, gesturing to his head.

Infinity perked up at that. "Do they get stuck more than your hands? If so, this will be entertaining." A small smile was on her face, which intrigued Nick. Why didn't she smile?

"Yeah, one time they got stuck on a kid's shirt. He was dangling there for a few minutes before I noticed." Nick giggled a little at the memory.

Adam glanced at Nick's antlers. "...What, do I need to go shirtless then?" He teased, although maybe it wasn't teasing. Who knew?