Chapter 12

"Are you serious?  You're not joking, please tell me you're not joking," I said in disbelief.

"I would never, not about this."

I couldn't help the smile that took over my face. And then I hit his shoulder.

"For months now, I had been blowing everything off as you being nice. How long?  How long have you known?"

"Since you came to see me in the infirmary. Although I think I felt it before that, I just wouldn't admit it to myself."

"Gosh, it feels so good for it to be out," I said and let out a sigh.

I finally dropped my hand from his chest.

"So you like me too, then?" he asked shyly.

"How could I not?" I joked.  "But, yes" I dropped my smile, "I do like you too."

A knock sounded at the door.

"Ten minutes princess!" a guard shouted through the door.

"Thank you!" I shouted back.

"We'll talk more later," I said quietly and pressed a long kiss to his cheek.

We walked with my arm wrapped around his elbow tighter than usual, neither of us able to keep a smile off our face.  We kept stealing glances at each other as we walked.  My heart still hasn't calmed down from the reveal.

The party music could be heard from the entry hall where guests lingered around my family. It was tradition that we all walked in together.

Mother and father walked arm in arm first, then me and Maddon, then Kellan trailing behind.

Our shoulders brushed as we walked up, sending shivers down my spine.

It felt so refreshing to know he felt the same way. Like I didn't have to hide it in front of him anymore. The rest of the world, sure, but not him.

And that's all that mattered.

I took my seat on the throne, and Maddon stood halfway behind it, his hand over the top. I leaned back until my shoulder was touching him.

He gently rubbed his index finger back and forth against my back.  Pulses of pleasure rippled from the spots he touched.

I had to take in a breath to stop from sighing. What was Maddon doing to me?

"You may go mingle if you wish," my mother told me and I stood up.

Maddon and I walked arm in arm down the steps and onto the ballroom floor.

A few people were already dancing, but most were talking with each other.

"Splendid job on the party, princess," someone said. I turned around to see Ford standing there, his hand extended for a dance.

I glanced at Maddon before reluctantly taking his hand and letting him lead me to the dance floor.

We began to sway back and forth.

"How are you?  How's everything going?" he asked, twirling me around.

"Fine. Everything's been smooth."

"And the rebels?  Any new news or strategies?"

"No. Nothing in the castle yet, luckily. We're just sending more troops to fight them outside castle grounds. Father had cut our staff down by a lot to find enough people to send," I explained.

"I see. Well, I hope everyone stays safe," he said as the song ended.

I met back up with Maddon after Ford left.