#4- Suspicions

I decided after the shake up from the other day I'd visit the police station. I was interested in Jerome's mother's body so I wanted to speak with Mr. Nigma about her cause of death.

Jerome acted very strange that night like he was putting on a show and it made my stomach churn thinking about it. The way he got angry at me in the trailer and gave those glares to Joel were bone chilling. Not to mention him talking about his mom in past tense before finding her body. He was hiding something. Something big.

I casually walked into the station and saw Harvey at his desk, but no Jim or Nigma in sight. There were lots of people in costumes flooding the station though, which I assumed were performers from the circus. "Hey Harvey." I greeted him.

"Hey, Ari!" We fist bumped as I plopped down in Uncle Jim's empty seat.

"What the hell is going on here? Is Jim interrogating the entire circus?"

"Yah you know your uncle, he goes all or- well, there's no nothing. He just goes all- all out. I actually have to get back to the interrogation room." He grabbed his coffee cup and disappeared when I spotted Jim Gordon down below.

"Uncle Jim!" I yelped for his attention as he twisted around to face me. "I have to talk to-" I cut my sentence short when Jerome walked out from behind him.

"Hold on a minute, Ari. Today's a bit busy." Jim answered, turning back around. Jerome smiled mischievously at me before following suit.

"Damn." I silently cursed. "There's something off about him." I tapped my fingers on the railing and bit my lip in thought.

"I live for laughter and for the crowd, without it I am nothing. What am I?" Edward Nigma's voice resounded behind me and I looked up in thought.

"That one is easy." I turned to face him and smirked. "A clown."

"Right-e-o." He clapped for me and leaned down. "Cause there's a whole bunch of them around here and it's kind of scheeving me out."

"Ditto." I nodded. "This is definitely one of the oddest cases I've seen. Nothing like a killer in a circus to chase after. Actually you are just the person I wanted to see."

"Oh, I'm flattered!"

"I know you're not really allowed to tell me much, but I was just curious... was Jerome's mother killed?"

"Yes absolutely. She received multiple hackings from an axe." Mr. Nigma beamed at me happily. I looked at him like he was crazy.

"Well don't look too happy about it, Mr. Nigma." I smirked.

"How many times do I have to ask you, Ari? Call me Ed."

"Hey, what is it you needed to talk to me about?" Uncle Jim walked up to Ed and I. Ed saluted and walked away.

"Eh, nothing, I changed my mind." I shook my head. As much as I really wanted to dig deeper into this, I knew I shouldn't. I was getting in over my head if Jerome's mom was truly murdered. Uncle Jim probably suspected Jerome by now anyway. "I'm heading out. Love you." I engulfed him in a hug and made my way to the exit.

"Hey there, hotness." Jerome came up behind me as soon as I stepped outside.

I jumped slightly at his sudden appearance. "The name is Aryion. Stop with the nicknames." I rolled my eyes as I bounded down the steps and onto the sidewalk.

"But they suit you." He argued.

"Were you waiting for me to come out of the police station?"

"Yup. I wanted to talk more with you. I felt as though you and I, well, we have this special bond." He explained, sounding amused. "Plus, I figured you'd want Ellie back."