Chapter Two

[The ARTICLE]

Define Bryce Pendleton

By: Alyson B. Carmine

People define Bryce Pendleton as the sweet and charming nice guy of Kensington High. He is the person you know who wouldn’t hurt a fly unless his life depends on it. He is the guy with the smile that could light up your lonely day. He is a straight-A student whom the teachers really admire. He is a beautiful creature that girls are dying to have. And he is the guy so cool that every boy in our school wants to be like him. He is just a perfect guy, a family man and a lady’s man.

But what you do not know is how I define Bryce and why I define Bryce that way. Bryce is that he is a cruel, lying bastard. He is a phony. He is a hypocrite.

He broke my heart. He broke my heart for 500 bucks.

We started as lab partners in science class last year. For two months since the first day of school we weren’t talking maybe because he doesn’t like to talk to girls like me or maybe because I had no interest in talking to him. Either way we had this mutual understanding that we only talk if it was about our class.

One day he decided to talk to it was when we were making a class experiment. He wasn’t talking about our experiment but was asking details about my life, I asked questions in return. That was the star of our new friendship.

In just a few meetings we ended up being good friends. He invited me to his house parties, night outs with friends or even just hanging out in some quiet place. We had fun having the company of each other.

That’s when I noticed that he was staring at me differently. He was smiling at me differently. And I had this weird feeling in my chest and a weird fluttering sensation in my stomach as if it had butterflies in it.

Yes, butterflies in my stomach. More of like the whole ‘circle of life’ gang in Lion king was inside my stomach.

I was happy. I was happy that Bryce and I were friends.

And then one day we were in a quiet place, his secret hiding place when he wanted to get away from the loud and crazy world. He then confessed to me, he said that he loved me. Bryce Pendleton was in love with me. I literally slapped myself because I thought it was a dream, but my cheeks hurt so I knew it wasn’t. I hugged him, and told him that I also love him. That then Bryce was my boyfriend, my first boyfriend.

We went on for a quite lovely time then summer vacation came. I was so excited because we were planning to have a vacation in Florida and go crazy in Disney World.

The day before our trip to Disney world I visited Bryce in his house. We went to his room and there I saw something on his study table. It was an opened envelop, I thought it was a letter. Bryce was startled when he saw me picking it up and immediately grabbed the letter to my hind and put it away in his drawer. That left me curious.

So when Bryce left his room because his mom was calling him I decided to take a look in the envelope and I wished I never did. Inside the envelope was five 100 dollar bills and a note that says, “Congratulations on winning the bet and have fun with your girl. Nice act you can stop now.”

Confused I asked Bryce and what the note meant and then he confessed everything.

We all know everyone thought that I will be the last girl everyone thought who will have a boyfriend. And Bryce and I would never be possible. The bet was if Bryce made me his girlfriend for four months he will get 500 hundred bucks if he did not he will pay five hundred bucks.