Chapter Four

I sit on the floor, my body aching from the pain of being battered. I just take a breath surprised that I'm still alive, but I'm more than willing to die by now. I don't move or do anything until there's a knock at the door. "Answer it." Will orders me to d bitterly sitting down with a beer in his hands.

I get up shaking a bit, but I walk to the door and open it seeing Thomas. He's holding the coat I left but as soon as he sees me he looks like he has just seen a massacre. After Thomas's awkward stare I take the coat from his hands. "Thank you for returning my coat," I say in a low tone but my husband still hears. Will gets up from his chair and grabs my bruised arm. "So that's where you've been," he hisses at me. I wince from the pain.

"Let go of her." Thomas says, with the look of death in his eyes, eyes that could burn holes through my husband, but Will doesn't seem phased. "And who the hell do you think you are?" Will asks him bitterly looking the man up and down and then squeezes my arm tighter. Tears sting my eyes but I know better than to jerk away. I look at Thomas who is now removing his coat leaving it on the ground. He takes a swing at Will causing him to let go of me.

I hold my arm and watch them try to what looks like murder each other. I never expected Thomas to fight unless it was a duel, but even that was silly to him. Thomas was now on top of Will angrily punching him. I ran up to Thomas and yelled at him to stop. If he kills the man he's in jail, but he doesn't listen. "Thomas please, I need you to help me!" I yell hoping that will get his attention. He stops and stands up. I sigh relieved that Thomas didn't actually kill anyone.

He picks me up bridal style and takes me to his house. I lean up against his chest feeling cold but, finally safe. Thomas takes me into what I presume is his bedroom and gently lays me on the bed. He leaves the room without saying a word. A wave of fear rushes over me considering the possibility that Thomas would use this time to take advantage of me, just because he's layer me on a bed and has said nothing, but he comes back in the room with ice wrapped in old shirts.

Thomas walks over to me and places an ice pack on my left eye and another on my right cheek. I hold the one on my eye and he holds the one on my cheek gently. "Why didn't you tell me?" He asks, sympathy woven in his tone. "I know I'm sorry-"

"Not that, you didn't tell me he hurt you."

"I knew there was nothing you could do about it so I didn't tell anyone, but I'm still sorry I never told you I was married, I just thought you wouldn't want to see me and I just wanted to be loved..." I almost whispered that last part. Tears started to prick my eyes. Thomas just put down the ice and embraced me. "You don't have to explain yourself, you're safe with me now." He says soothingly rubbing my back.

I put the ice pack down and hold his chest. "But what happens after this? I have to go back home eventually."

"Not to him."

"Then what will I do?"

"You're divorcing him."

"I would but he won't want one, I'm the only thing that provides for him."

"He's beating you, you can't stay with him, I'll have him arrested."

"Thomas, no one's going to care if I get beat by him, I'm his property."

"No you're not! But I just want you to be safe, anywhere that's far away from him is good."

I wish I  could divorce that man but if he didn't consent then I couldn't. I start to cry, "Thomas, I don't know what to do."

Thomas holds my head closer to his chest and strokes my hair. "It's okay, I'm gonna find a way for you to be safe, even if I have to kill a man." 

I believed him. "But don't worry about that tonight (y/n), just rest."

I laid back on the bed cuddled against Thomas. He held me close as if I'd disappear if he didn't. There's just peace and serenity, the only thing I hear is Thomas's steady heartbeat humming me to sleep.