Chapter 20:

It was finally Halloween, the best day of the year (according to Zak). Today, they'd invited Nick, Veronique, Annabelle and Chloe to theirs for lunch and then they were all going to go off to trick or treat with the kids around the neighbourhood. 

Brock was up very early in the morning. He was too excited to sleep longer because he knew that not only was he going to see Annabelle and Chloe but he was also going to dress up as his favourite cartoon character, Spiderman, and get candy. 

Zak was awoken by a very loud thudding sound coming from somewhere upstairs. He slowly sat up in bed and rubbed his eyes. He wasn't sure whether he was just hearing things or whether he was actually hearing this rather peculiar thudding noise. 

Upon realising that this thudding noise didn't seem to be stopping, Zak decided to get out of bed and investigate. The thudding noise led him down the hall and stopped right at Brock's door. 'Was Brock up already?' Zak thought to himself, as he tried to listen to whatever that thudding noise seemed to be. 

Zak slowly opened Brock's bedroom door to find him practically jumping around his bedroom with excitement. "Brock? What are you doing up so early?" Zak spoke, trying his best not to wake Brianna up. "Candy!" Brock exclaimed, as he jumped off his bed and landed on the floor. "Careful- but hey, we won't be having any candy this early in the morning, it's only 7:30..." Zak told him. Brock frowned, "b-but...candy-" he trailed. "You'll get enough candy tonight to last you a year, don't you worry." Zak reassured him, "now, since we're both up, how about we go downstairs and see what's on TV so we don't wake up mommy, hm?" 

Brock nodded in response to this. "Da-ddy? C-awwy pwease?" Brock asked as nicely as possible as he wanted to be lifted up. "Okay, since you asked nicely." Zak replied, as he carefully lifted up Brock before carrying him downstairs. 

As soon as they made it over to the sofa, Zak sat Brock down next to him and switched on the TV. "Let's see if there's any Halloween cartoons, shall we?" He spoke, as Brock nodded a little in response. After flicking through various tv shows, Zak finally found a show ideal for Brock. "How about 'It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown'?" He suggested. "Yea-h!" Brock responded, although having no idea what Charlie Brown was. 

Zak decided to stay with Brock until Brianna came downstairs. "Good morning you two!" She chimed, as she smiled sweetly at them. "Morning Bri-" Zak spoke, as he got up from the sofa to give Brianna a kiss. 

Brock was glued to the TV and wouldn't take his eyes off it. "Morning Brocky-" She continued. Brock, however, didn't answer. "Brock?" She called. Yet again, there was no answer from Brock. Brianna sighed and stood in front of the TV. "Maybe all this TV isn't good for you, Brock." She told him. Brock began to try and look around his mom, hoping that he'd still be able to watch the programme but Brianna was stood right in front of it. "Mommy..." Brock trailed, a little annoyed that his mommy was in the way. "Brock, I'm not moving. You've had enough TV for one day, especially when you won't respond when we've been calling you." Brianna told her son, as she picked up the remote and switched off the TV. 

Brock's lip began to tremble. "Oh Brocky-" Brianna began, as she sat down next to him on the sofa. "-how about you go and play with some toys for a while?" She suggested. Brock shook his head. "Well, you can't watch any more of that programme because it's nearly time to have breakfast." Brianna told the little boy. However, that was something Brock didn't want to hear. Instead of getting off the sofa to see what was for breakfast, Brock began to cry. "I'm sorry Brock, but you've got to have your breakfast soon or you won't be able to go trick or treating tonight." She told him. This made Brock cry louder. Brianna didn't really know what to do.