[forty eight - samantha spills]

Beginne am Anfang

Grayson has even admitted to me that he hopes the wedding is in New Jersey as well. He says he wants to meet up with Elena there- whom, by the way, he doesn't seem stressed out or angry about texting anymore. He just seems happy, and excited to see her again.

I am so elated for him. And I would love to meet Elena.

As for Ethan and I, we are better than ever. I couldn't be happier.

He has been acting amazing lately. He hasn't messed up at all, and has even been excited about Anne's upcoming wedding. I am beyond proud of him, and who he has changed into.

His heart isn't so rough anymore.

In fact, it's honestly hard to believe that it ever even was. He hasn't made one mistake since the whole 'Charlie' mishap, which, might I add, didn't even happen.

Today is just another day. I find myself counting down the days until December, actually.

With a blank expression, I trot through the congested hallway of Clearview High, trying to make it to my third period. My head hangs low, along with my spirits. I am so over high school.

"Hey, Jessica."

I am not only confused, but shocked when I look up to see Samantha Hughes talking to me. What on earth could she possibly want?

"Oh, hi, Samantha." I force a small smile.

"So, are you getting excited for Anne and Robert's wedding?" She asks.

It's odd that she is trying to make casual conversation with me. I haven't talked to her in what feels like forever.

Her long, black hair is flipped over her shoulders and her lip gloss is shinier than ever.

"Yeah. Are you?"

"Yes. I mean, my mom is stressed out, being the maid of honor and all, and she kinda stresses me out about it, but besides that, I am definitely excited."

I don't really know why she is acting nice to me, but I don't question it.

"Especially since the wedding has been moved to November. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's terrible why it had to be moved, but I am happier that it's sooner than later, now. You know?" She adds.

Wait, what?

What is she talking about?

"Wait, the wedding is in November, now?" I ask.

She furrows her perfectly-shaded eyebrows at me for a moment and puckers her shiny lips.

"Well, yeah, because of Anne's-" she pauses for a brief moment, "did Ethan not tell you?"

I gulp, suddenly becoming nervous. What could Ethan not have told me?

"Um, no. I guess he forgot. I thought the wedding was going to be in December." I answer honestly.

Samantha breaks our eye contact, looking down to the floor. Her manicured fingernails glimmer in the light as she clasps her hands together.

"You're going to figure out soon anyways, so I guess I could just go ahead and tell you," she starts, shrugging.

"Anne's cancer spread to her bone and liver. It's apparently pretty bad, so Anne moved the date sooner so she could... you know, be here, for sure."

As the words tumble from Samantha's lips, my knees become weak and my heart begins to literally hurt. My entire body aches, and I suddenly feel sick.

What a shitty way of finding out such shitty news. As if this month wasn't terrible enough already...

"Oh," is all I manage to say.