Kabanata XXVIII

XXVIII

What was that, Nathalia? I asked myself when we got inside the elevator. My words earlier had a hint of bitterness and I shouldn't have acted like that. I sighed heavily and closed my eyes for a second.

"Are you okay, Ma'am Nathalia?" Lila asked me with a worried face. I gave her a faint smile and nodded.

Bumukas ang elevator at nauna akong maglakad palabas. Kinuha ko ang cellphone ko sa bag at tinawagan ang kapatid ko na agad din naman niyang sinagot. I stopped walking.

"Can you pick me now?" I told him with a drained voice.

"Everything's okay?" He asked. He could easily determine if I'm okay or not.

"I'm fine, natapos lang nang maaga ang meeting. I'm here at the main branch of DALA's company." I let out an inaudible sigh.

"I'm just around that place, will see you at five minutes."

"Safe driving, okay?" I reminded him before dropping the call.

"Ingat po kayo, Ma'am." We were greeted by the securities when we stepped outside the building. I just gave them a smile. I am not in the mood right now to make a conversation. I suddenly feel exhausted and I don't know why. Maybe because of what happened earlier?

I turned to Lila whose still beside me. "Umuwi ka na, magpahatid ka na lang sa driver." My car stopped in front of us.

"Sigurado po ba kayo, Ma'am?" There was an apprehension in her voice.

"My brother will be here in a few minutes, I can handle myself, Lila, para na rin maaga kang makapagpahinga." I assured her with a smile.

"Sige po, Ma'am. Mag-iingat po kayo, salamat po." She smiled and hugged me. Lila's actually close to me. She's not just a secretary, she's also my friend. She has been working for me since I got the job my father offered to me almost two years ago. Hindi naman porket anak niya ako, aasa na ako sa pera ng pamilya namin. I have to work hard too and I'm planning to have my own business as long as I'm done with my PhD. Minsan ay gusto ko na lang isuko ang pag-aaral ko dahil sa hirap. I just always remind myself that I will be the first one who will benefit of my suffering.

I waved at Lila when she got inside my car and she did the same before leaving.

Isang sasakyan ang tumigil sa harap ko. It wasn't familiar to me and definitely it is not my brother's car. I was still waiting outside and I just gave it a glance.

"Magandang hapon po, Sir Hob, ingat po sa pag-uwi." Hindi ko mapigilang mapalingon nang marinig ko ang pangalan niya.

Our eyes met when I looked at him. Suddenly, a vivid of the past flashed to my mind. I used to meet his gazed before. It meant a lot to me, but right now it is just a mere memory.

I averted my attention away from him. But his presence was very much obvious behind my back. I know he was staring at me, intently.

He appeared beside me and his familiar smell filled my nostrils. He did not change his perfume. It's still the same scent that I won't forget even my eyes were closed.

"You've changed." He started a conversation. I looked at him and there's a disappointment in his eyes.

Emotionless, I looked back at him.

"I will take that as a compliment, Mr. De Ala." I told him with a frosty voice.

"You became feisty, dissimilar from the timid Nathalia I used to know." His voice was deep, more powerful than before. But I did not waste seven years of my life to be intimated by him.