Introduction

Wattpad: the place where anyone can go to tell a story. That's kind of how I see this place. When I joined two years ago, I can't even remember if I came here to read stories or to share my own. What I do know is that over time, I've come to do both. In the process, I've also met a lot of fantastic people, writers that have stories they want to tell, writers that are excited to be able to tell them, writers that are excited to find an audience.  However, I've also seen a fair amount of disappointment and frustration from those that have failed to succeed or just don't know how to proceed.

The road to success on Wattpad can certainly be a long one and in the end, there is really no guarantee that you will find success. Fans, probably, sales, maybe (just not on Wattpad). Throughout the few years I've been frequenting Wattpad, I've tried to keep my ears to the ground and my eyes on the books around me and always ask the question What can I do better? What do I need to do differently? Although I don't have any definite answers, I have picked up a thing or two that I feel it's only right to give back to the community with the hope that it can help you in your own quest to become a successful author.

I should add that most of what you're about to read in the coming chapters aren't necessarily new or unique ideas or even my own ideas. Often, they're just refined from advice I've read elsewhere. For example, one very important thing about your book, on Wattpad as well as Amazon, is to have a good cover. Yes, people do judge a book by its cover. Surprised?  You shouldn't be. I bet you do it yourself. In fact, this is advice you can read in dozens of books here on Wattpad. You need a good book cover. What you might not always find is how to make a great cover. So, as a result, the first chapter of this book will teach you the basic of how to do that. 

The rest of this book will continue along the same line. I will attempt to give you some ideas on how to make your books better, whether it be a good cover, improving the grammar of your book or something altogether different. 

Please remember: what you'll be reading in this book is not a sure way to achieve success.  In fact, it's not intended to be a guide on how to get more reads, comments, and votes. There are plenty of other books on Wattpad that goes into detail about all that. The intent of the following chapters is to point out how you can improve your craft and become a better writer. I think you will find that as you improve as a writer, it is more likely that the reads, the votes, the comments, and success will come naturally. When that happens I'll be the first to slap you on the back and congratulate you. If it doesn't, I'll be the first to encourage you to keep going, to never give up.

At the same time, I also don't want to pretend I'm an expert in all of this. So, as you read, if you disagree with a point, that's fine. Please add a comment, let's have a discussion. Maybe your point of view is better than mine and a chapter needs to be rewritten. The end goal is to help you and if you can help me help others, I believe our community of writers can become stronger and better as a result.

Now, enough of my own ramblings. Let's dive head first into the first chapter that explains how you can create a killer cover in no-time.

Note that most of what you'll read in this book has been previously posted on my blog, Tall Tech Tales. To read more, head on over to http://www.talltechtales.com.